Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anything wrong with this engine set up for my Blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Nov 30, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm sick of my stock '84 Chevy 350 in my Blazer, I know the 4.10s will help, but I want some more horsepower. The engine runs well w/ over 30 lbs of oil pressure at hot idle and good compression. I know it's not just out of tune and I know it's not a bad motor, it's just gutless.

Thinking
    Carb and intake
    Cam
    HEI
    Headers and exhaust

I am thinking about this cam I will replace the timing chain and obviously the lifters while I am in there. I don't think I will need to swap springs though(I really don't wanna have to dig into the heads right now).

The carb and and distributor are computer controlled, so those need to go. A buddy has a prejunk HEI that he said I could have and I am thinking about putting a Holley 670 Street Avenger that's currently on my Challenger on top of a Weiand Action Plus intake manifold a buddy said he would give me.

as far as headers go...
    My buddy got a set of Hedman Elite headers for his big block Camaro. They are very nice heavy duty headers. I know everyone on here says to go with Thorleys but I want to stay a traditional 4-1 header. I looking in summit and all the truck headers in the elite series were like $270. There Ceramic coated too! They list half ton and 3/4-1 ton 4x4s as different though. Anyone know why? I'm eventually gonna put a Dana 60 in my Blazer, shouldn't be any problems though that I could think of. I heard sometimes the rear shackle can get close. Will my stock starter fit? I just replaced it a while back... Anyway, if anyone has run them or has an opinion, let me know! Thanks! Thinking a dual 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers

Eventually I want to build a Fuelie 383 but that's gonna cost some big bucks that I could definitley use elsewhere.

Anyway, it's gonna got in my '84 Blazer that w/ eventually be lifted 2.5 inches and running 33s w/ 3/4 ton running gear(4.10s in the axles)

If the cam ain't right, anyone got a suggestion? Cheap is good by the way.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I just changed the cam in my 305. I went with the sum-k1103 from summit. cant beat cam and lifters for 80.00

3. WantedaDodge

is that the 204/214 @ .050 cam they have? Large power gain? the stock cam is so wimpy!!!

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

its 214/224 at .50.as for power ita a 305 with 133000 and the last cam was round so it was a big gain for me. but the motor is gut less it has a little lobe to it it seams to work good. I didnt want to go to big with out doing the bottem end or a good head job.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hedman Elite 69890 is what I've got in my '86 w/ manual trans.

These are "stock" headers: no AIR fittings, no O2 bung. Still coated and thick of course, with the ball and socket exhaust pipe fitting.

See the threads on shackle clearance with headers, they will more than likely hit your shackle, but it's pretty easy to fix.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't know for sure, but i would imagine it refers fitting the exhaust to the shape/dimensions of the frame. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

colby stephens.

7. WantedaDodge

I bet your right about the exhaust... didn't think about that!

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

1. Big block headers won't fit on your 350 without some modifications...

2. With an 84 Blazer, you can't have a computer controlled carb and distributor unless something reverted back to previous technology in 1986... in which year my Blazer didn't have anything computer controlled....

3. Start by changing the gears before you go throwing money into your motor. Before you know it, you'll have more money into engine mods than you would if you had just bought a crate motor. Get your gearing where you want it to be, then decide on mods... often times, the change from 3.08:1 to 4.10:1 gearing will put you in your seat with a quickness. You'd be suprised what 225 horse power and 300 ft/lbs of torque will do with the right tires and gears.

5... I mean 4. Go ahead with the lift... I'm happy to see someone starting small first rather than jumping to the 12" lift and 39.5 inch Super Swampers just to have the biggest truck on the block.

6... heh... that's all.

9. WantedaDodge

I never said I was gonna put big block headers on it, and I really don't see how someone could modify them to fit either...

Sure looked like it had some sort of Brain box on it to me, are you telling me I can change the metering rods in the carb and adjust the timing curve?

I know I don't have any 225 hp in this motor... But I have 4.10s in my 3/4 ton stuff, I just got to swap it over...