Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyway to mount a gun rack in blazers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 8, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what all options there are for mounting a gunrack in a blazer. I thought at first maybe the old rear window style rack might work in the sidewindows, but I'm not so sure now cause the top is fiberglass.

Anybody got any options?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My 70 has a padded, handmade guncase bolted to the floor behind the back seat. This one is set up so that the tailgate must be opened in order to unlatch the top of the case.

3. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

I had a 74 with a rack mounted in the rear window and it worked fine.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about mult guns or one? There are a few options here, Sheriff K-5 used a shot gun rack that mounted using the stock shell mounting bolts. and was mounted horizontally behind the front seats. others that Ive seen are the kind your talking about (rear window) that was mounted on the side panel on each side. Old hunting rig. it held 4 riffles. Also saw a guy that had a Police Shotgun mounted in the rear facing strait up on the other side from the spare tire mount(drivers side), He said there was two of them in there for his riffles.

5. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess I'll try the old rear window racks then! I was just afraid the fiberglass wouldn't hold it.

I've seen the cop style gun racks before. That would be an interesting way to go as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

6. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I had them in the sides before held up fine,I have a over head rack now.I can`t rember the brand,it`s made for chevy trucks.The good thing about it is you can`t see it from the outside unless your right up next to it. JB

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

you can get one of those overhead gun shelfs that fit where your visors are. keeps it out of sight. you can also get the ones that mount in between the seats and hold the guns vertically.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

In most states it is against the law to have a fire arms in front of the drivers seat. Be careful and check your state laws!

9. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

cabellas has a gun rack that fit over the seats you might want to check them out, i have seen them in their catalog not up close, just a thought

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

JCW sels those. I looked when I got my visor shelf.

11. super k

super k 1/2 ton status

You could try looking for the one used in the CUCV Blazers.Behind driver/verticle.Will hold two.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I came up with the idea, my dad implemented it in steel for us this year.

I used the tuffy console to bolt it to, but if I had a stock console, I would have used the seat belt mounting bolts.

Just used square tubing just larger than diameter of gun butts, put piece of metal across the bottom, semi-soft foam over that, vertical pole in between two of the butt "sockets" and then an arm for either gun barrel above where the forend of the gun ends. The arm has one 3/4 circle of PVC (one for each gun) riveted to it, with foam pipe insulation glued inside it, to not scratch the gun. Slit in the insulation allows the gun to be pressed into the arm, and a strap of velcro runs around either one or both guns, to keep them tight against the pole.

Pretty complex, but I hated the way guns got in the way of the back seat when I had passengers, and they were always bouncing around. This way I didn't have to screw the body up at all, they are out of the way, and with almost two weeks of rough hunting roads, not once did a gun find its way out of the rack. I should take a picture of it, it works awesome.

Probably more complex sounding than most are looking for, but it works, and isn't too hard to make if you've got some metal laying around.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do, don't enter california with a gun in a gun rack. It is against the law in this state to have a gun in a gun rack. The law got changed years ago for some strange reason or another. :dunno:

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where are you supposed to put it?

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

16. BRIAN THOMAS

BRIAN THOMAS Registered Member

sorry neeed the post count so I can post pics. You would think 4 years on here would be good enough?

17. xCaliK5x

xCaliK5x 1/2 ton status

Wow, back from the dead. I don't know what all the fuss is about gun racks, my cut down AK with pistol grip fits in the center console.

18. static1

static1 Registered Member

The gun laws very alot from state to state. I know in nc the rack cannot be in the window because of some bs about causing panic. So the roof mounting system is what every body uses for the most part. And long guns must be unloaded. They also require you to keep them in plain veiw for the officer to be able to see them if you get pulled over. I have my concealed carry but in nc it only aplys to handguns.the roof mount is a nice set up. I think the company that makes them is called big sky or sumthing like that.

19. suicide jockey

suicide jockey Registered Member

Bigskyracks

These are very handy, put a single in my blazer mounted in the fiberglass with the gun facing the front,up real close where the top bolts are.

20. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put a Big Sky Rack BSR-2 in the top part of the Chalet's cab and like it a lot.