Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

application for employment, have had no payroll work since 02

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so ive been out of work ever since the layoffs in aug 02, laid off from another local small plant here, we were terminated due to 12 months continuous layoffs in aug 03, havent found anything ever since, no payroll anyways, been working for a couple relatives and such since, under the counter just to help survive meanwhile,
    im gonna go for eaton electrical/cutler hammer application like next friday,
    i have nothing to put down for previous employment other than the plant we were laid off from, its been a long time now, isnt that going to be bad ? maybe thats why i never get called from other places i turn an app into ?

what do i do ?
    is anyone here affiliated with eaton corp in any way ?

the other plants in this town dont employ over 100 ppl 'cept for eaton, and theres only four others, all small time stuff,

thanks

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

What kind of work have you done for your relatives?

Not having a W2 type job is only bad if you've done nothing but watch tv since you got laid off.

If you know what kind of job you're applying for next week, spend time thinking of how you can apply your past experience to the job your aiming at, and figure out a coherent way to explain that to the interviewer.

job history is important, but not as important as your ability to explain why a company should hire you.

Tom

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Have you wrote a resume or just filling out an application. Make just a simple 1 page resume that is not real cluttered and count the work you did for relatives. Instead of specific dates of employement round off to the year or years that you worked for different people or places. Depending on what you are applying for direct it to that job with what your objective is in getting the job for ex. To obtain a postion in the maintenance department as a mechanic where my fabrication skills used in my previous work and hobbies is well used to keep (what ever kind of machines the have) in good working order. etc... And have 2 or three people there that you know say you are a good worker. list three references with address no phone # they will look it up if checking and make sure these people know they are on it. Really good if one was a boss not related. Don't lie but a little streach is ok. You always have the we did not have one of these where I use to work that works once or twice. The big thing that got me a job a work is the supervisiors uncle told him of me and 3 mechanics gave me a great word and the interview was easy if you know what they will want from you ahead of time.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

did some house remodeling work for an uncle for rent outs, and with my stepdad in auto repair garage swapping engines and repairing cars for some ppl, nothing special

no i dont watch tv, no i dont sit around and do nothing im always busy working, im pissed when im cabin fever and not working, so i go and find work to do, just not payroll, cuz theres just nothing to find here,

too many ppl out of work and too many places closing/shrinking
    in the last couple years, everythings changed drastically,

so i dunno

tired of this crap, cant stand it any more, i dont know how im still around,,

thanks anyways,

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If the job you're interviewing on is mechanical, like assembly or repair, then keep telling them that you are good at building / fixing stuff, and that ability, along with a work ethic, is why they should hire you. Draw on the previous plant experience too, it's all relevant.

If they ask why you want to work for them, say stuff like you admire the company, and are tired of working with family, and want to go to work in a more stable environment.. It's honest, and they can't argue with it.

If you are enthusiastic and honest, and you ask for the job, you'll be miles ahead of anyone else they talk to. If you can pass a drug test, and have good attendance, let 'em know that too. Don't forget the thank you letter and follow up phone call.

as far as going this long without a "payroll job", don't sweat it. As cheech and chong said, "things are tough all over", and anyone with a brain will understand that jobs have been tough to find and tougher to keep these days.

Tom