Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Applying paint with a paint brush

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Aug 9, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't the best way to apply paint to the body but I don't feel like paying someone (not to mention the down time) and I don't have access to a spray gun (except a hobbyist air sprayer). What problems would I have if I applied the paint to a quarter panel with a one of those foam brushes and then wet sanded it smooth? Has anyone ever done this?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 08/09/01 06:54 PM.</FONT></P>

2. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

IMHO, it would look like crap. You'd be better off just leaving it in primer or using the cheapo spray cans till you can get it done right.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Go for the rattle cans.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I rollered a truck once - looked good from far, but far from good. Got it all the same color though :)

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well you can get spray guns fiarly cheap if you wanted I think like $30 or so, if nothing else you may try one of the paint and body shops around town they go thru primer guns and usually just discard them afterward and for our use, shoot it would do the trick

Like em big and topless

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Problem is I don't have an large enough air compressor for a spray gun, but I do have a mini-compressor. And I also have a quart of paint that is matched to the rest of the truck so I don't think the spray can method will work. Any other ideas?
    What was the problem with the roller method?
    Like I said, I'm going to be wet sanding it, so bumps and brush marks shouldn't be a problem.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Get you a refillable spray can - Harbor Freight and several other places sell them for around 10 bucks. Pour in your reduced paint, give it a dose of air from the compressor and you are good to go.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Would a 1/8 hp compressor be enough to charge the spray cans or would I need something larger. And after I add the hardener to the paint how long will I have before the paint in the spray can is no good?

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

1/8 horse certainly should do it - it just might take around 5 minutes to fill, I've filled mine from the .50 cents for air things at Circle K. As for paint lasting, I've left paint in mine for around 3 months with no problem - Usually I only mix up as much as I plan on using, and dump out whatever's left.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

11. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

there is also stuff u can buy and look extremly nice im gettin it on my truck its new out its called all grip but i dunno if its spelled right but it would look real nice even if u painted your whole truck with it its a high gloss and its smoths out after brushing look into it its real good stuff kidna expensive but real nice looking .

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If you plan on wet sanding the thang, you must be one buff mutha'! -beacause that would be allot of wet sanding, not too menchin' the rubb threws and redos.

I've got a buddy, that does on-sight paint and body work (light stuff, and it looks sweet=experience) Anyway, he's used a small compressor and 3.5 gallon tank for years. He works the gutts out of it, but it works. Just take your time and plan ahead, give it time to air up.

Perfect time to step up to a quad-4 or 2-stage comressor. Aleast that would be my excuse! [​IMG]

Twiztid
    This is all about opinions, and this is mine. (if applicible)

13. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Not just wet sanding one quarter panel, but the entire truck ,the rest of which has been powdercoated which is a PITA to sand. Lost track of the hours I've spent on it.

14. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you add a hardener to the paint I would say to get it out of what ever you use w/ in 2 hrs. DONOT put it back in the can. Discard it or it will cause the rest of the paint to harden.

Another thing is if you do brush or roll it is to consider that a metallic color will be pulled and marks will show. Regardless of how smooth it is.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It's just a solid color, nothing special. But since we have a body/paint man on the line now, what are your thoughts on the best way to apply the paint without a spray gun (like you would actually do something like this *L*)

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK well ya got me for just a few more min Ive gotta get some sleep, its 2 AM where I am! LOL! IMO there is no other way to apply paint other than a gun. But you can get those little bottles as was mentioned w/ the replaceable spray cartriges that go on top. That may suit your needs but its definately the long road. You can pick those up at most hardware stores I believe. Ill check this thread tommorow, I have really gotta get some sleep.[​IMG]

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What about Maaco or someplace like that? They always have specials. Or go to a small local shop and ask them what they would charge just to shoot it and you do all the prep work. I check on that once, and a local guy here told me about $75.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could use a Wagner Power paint gun if your already have the color picked out......

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

19. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I painted my k5 with a paint brush. It didn'tlook terrible. After wheeling in the bush the scratches from the branches just blended right in :)

It's so easy to repaint after :)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>