Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aquarium guys....need help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Jan 2, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One of my freshwater tropical tanks got ich from a new fish that was introduced and proceeded to spread it to my 28+ tetras and then itself die. Three days ago I noticed a few tetras had ich fairly bad and added some medication to the tank. I have continued to medicate and do partial water changes but It has not gotten better and a few of the fish have developed a slimy fungus coating, the few that are still alive.( :( ). I am a fairly seasoned aquariast but have never had to deal with any kind of fungus before. What could it be? I fear the remaining ten out of the twenty eight fish will not make it through the night. :( I'm just glad this is in my smaller tank rather than my nice tank. :tongue1: Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, do a 50% water change and lightly rinse out your filter media. only about half of it. remove any carbon in the filter system and medicate with tricycline?(yellow box, capsule form, works great. not sure if thats the right name or not)

in all honesty be thankfull they are tetra's(still beautifull schooling fish than can cost a lot in a number of 28) and not like my Dubosi that cost 60 to 80 bones each. if you keep up with the half water change and medication then all should end well, but if over half are gone think of the bright side. change is always nice. a full tank cleaning will be needed and it gives you the chance to re-arrange, or even start from new interrior items and fish.

good luck with it. i know what you are going through.

my ex-wife killed my dubosi for me.:mad: i will be getting another tank when i get back to cali.:D

3. rjfguitar

Yeah, Tetras are fairly cheap but I do have a couple of lemon tetras which are hard to find and a couple of Green fire tetras that aren't very cheap but the good news is I netted out the green fires and lemons before they looked very sick and tossed them in a little 10 gall. that has guppies in it in my 55 gall cabinet. I lost all of my Neons, and miscellaneous serpaes, black skirts, one lemon, and red phantoms.

I also have an "expensive" tank that is a 55 and my favorite. Heavily planted (real plants) with a few lemon and black phantom tetras, sharks, black ghostnife, discus, rare catfish, gold nugget pleco, and a bunch of cool botia loaches.

4. rjfguitar

I did all that, your basic sickness maintnence. :(

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

hehe Jenn came home one day and found the big tank all pink. Turns out the Big ole Oscar had ripped the jaw off of the bigger ole Dempsey. Was kinda bummed cuz I like havin the bigger fish. Then the Oscar up and died I'm guessin of old age and so now we have a whole slew of convicts. They're kinda fun too though I guess.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Clout... strong stuff... but will take care of most parasitic problems.

8. rjfguitar

That sounds like a ciclid. I have another 55 gall with ciclids but just little ones, feisty little critters. My girlfriend says that the oscars at work will spit gravel out of the tank.(She works at a pet store)

9. rjfguitar

Thanks for the link. I would like to have a 100+ gallon tank one day like that. :)

10. rjfguitar

I'm headed down to the store to look for the stuff. ;) :)

11. rjfguitar

I picked up some more ich treatment today. The fish have stopped dieing off one by one and there appears to be six survivors. :)