Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aquarium Keepers.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 79Stomper, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just a quick question. Does anyone know how 2 Plecos will get along in the same tank? One is close to 12" and the other about 8".

Reason being I need to clean my little tank, since it hasn't been cleaned since before I left for Iraq and well it needs a good scrubbing. I plan on just transferring the fish from the 35 to the 55 for a week or so while the new water cycles. I am just worried about the Plecos getting along. I plan on moving their hideouts to so they will have a place to hide during the day.

TIA
    James

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They wont bother each other.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine died after about 5 years :( Well we thought he was totally dead , and scooped him out , flushed him ..... or so I thought , he didn't go . Next person in there got the crap scared out of them with hte last dying breath of mister fishy splashing water :laugh:

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 12" pleco in a 35g? Take that guy down to a private owned pet shop (Pet smart, Petco won't take fish) and trade him in. Thats too much fish for that tank.:haha:

Plecos are peacefull, they should be ok if they don't feel over crowded. Peacefull fish can get onry when they feel stressed from being crowded.

6. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah they will be fine. I don't agree with rjfguitar though, while that is too much fish for that tank, I wouldn't take him down and trade the fish in. I'd take the smaller tank in and trade IT in for a bigger tank!! Bigger is better baby!! Well at least for fish tanks, for those certain other things Ive convinced myself that size doesn't matter.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Even if they did get ornery, whata they gonna do suck each other to death....:D

8. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

no but if they get stressed enough they can cause permanent damage or even death.
    I agree though, I have a 10gallon and a 35gallon Tall and I would say that there is no way a 12" Pleco can be happy in that 35. The 55gallon tanks aren't too bad price wise if you already have overkill hardware (filter, lighting, oxygen bubblers, etc.) then you could transfer them over for the time being and your fish would be much happier.

-Avery

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the plecos that i had would go nuts every night, and just tear ass around the tank about 1 or 2 am. whats up with that?

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dood I've had tanks for 25 years my last one being 125, I know what I can get away with...This is gonna be a short term thing, don't blast me with sh!t you heard from the dork at the megapet...:p:

11. Avery4jc

Not blasting but being that you are dealing w/ live animals it's not like you can predict what is going to happen, you can only base it off of what the majority of their species do.
    I have had a few Pleco's over the years and even w/ constant water parameter tests and keeping everything perfect I would have them die in smaller tanks or when there were too many of them. When they were in my big tank they were fine. So based upon my experiences and what the people at the "megapet" shop told me yeah, stress is a factor that you have to keep in mind.

-Avery

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:deal: ---->
    I had way too much to say about this so I decided to just drop it or you'd be reading my reply til tomorrow morning...:D

13. Avery4jc

lol, thanks for sparing us....I have to leave for school @ 7:00 so I better not stay up all night reading about fishies.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Avery

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If they start to fight, film it and we can take bets on who the bigger sucker is...

15. Avery4jc

:haha:

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

stop dribling left over cocaine into the tank before you go to bed....:p:

Nah, plecos are fast swimers and will usually move from one spot to the next fairly quickly. Also, they are nocturnal, so that is their busiest and most active time.

17. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

i had a 17 inch pleco in my 75gal, i used to feed cucumbers. he was my baby. if he got hungry he would fling the lid open to let me know that he was hungry.