Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aquatune water injection...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Jun 11, 2004.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever heard of this? kind of sounds like a load of BS to me. It also seems quite expensive for what it is. check it out and let me know...it might just be something worth buying if it can increase MPG as much as they say.

http://aquatune.com/overview.html

NITRO

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive heard of old drag racers using something similar, if not the same thing, suposibly it lowered the cumbustion temps so you can run higher compression on pump gas. i though that no one made anything like it anymore /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

About 5 or 6 years ago a friend of mine was considering investing in a company in Dallas that had come up with this device. May even be this company. They installed one in my car to test. I got noticable, but not remarkable increases in gas mileage, and the car had a bit better giddyup of the line.

I still have the unit they installed. I was thinking about putting it in the truck. Only PITA was you have to keep an eye on the gallon jug of water that feeds the atomiser so it doesn't go dry.

My understanding is that this is not a new idea.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The idea is ancient. Used at least starting in WW2 on piston engine planes.

Something to do with high compression and detonation. Basically, a band-aid for inefficient engine design.

I believe the consensus is now, if it doesn't add oxygen or fuel to the intake charge, it's wasting power.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I had one made by Edelbrock on a GTO around 27 years ago. It did let me drive my car on the street with the high compression engine. I don't think it boosted performance and I wasn't even checking the MPG. I can say that I pulled the heads and has some of the most carbon free combustion chambers I had ever seen. Like mentioned before, you have to keep an eye on the bottle but it didn't use as much water as you might think.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well its not cheap but it ant too expencive i might got one it is an old idie but it dose work, and hell with gas prices they way there are any thing that helps right my fill ups are 130 bucks for ultra 94 wouldend take too long to pay for its self even if it only increast it 10%

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i think it may be worth trying it. It just seems so damn expnsive for hose and all that stuff. I wonder what is really inside of that little "Processor". I also found this a while back....check it out. It is supposed to do basically the same thing only it breaks it into gases before they enter the engine clicky here

NITRO

8. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I had that type of water injection back in the early 80's on a drag/street car. I was able to run 15:1 compression on pump gas, 93 octane. I couldn't tell if I got better mpg or any faster. I really didn't care as long as I was able to buy gas at any gas station back then.

9. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

we run something with the same idea on our trucks where i work, we are actualy testing 3. They are way different looking. What we run are fuel cells that run on distilled water, it actually seperates hydrogen and o2 and puts it in the intake as a gas with the same results. they are using a different method cause our fuel cells cost $12000 and weigh 200lbs. I think i will stick with good old pump gas.

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

thats what they do with the second link i posted. It is a PVC pipe that houses 2 electrodes and the water. The electricity splits the water and is injected into the intake manifold.

NITRO

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Old tech!! Water injection came out LONG time ago. But got REAL popular in the 70's when lead was removed from gas. It helped reduce the Knocking that all the early cars suffered from when they ran No lead gas. It really didn't do much for performance, Although claims were made!! But you could advance the timing a couple degree's with it on. You could make something with an old washer bottle, a piece of hose, a small carb jet, and an extra vacuum port!!

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i was wondering how hard it would be to make one. but these say that they have "tuning forks" that break up the water molecules. Not sure how much of that i believe as in how the tuning fork would have some way to creat the vibrations other than those given off by the vehicle. I may just try making something like that and seeing what happens.

NITRO

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

there are plenty of do it yourself sites that use either windshield washer pumps, or fuel pumps.

i looked into it, but saw no gain unless i wanted to run high compression on sh|t gas. it just keeps predetonation from occurring because the energy used to boil the water cools the charge so it cant detonate untill there is a spark. but by then the water is just vapor, so there is no harm. if you were to rig it up, give it a manual override so that you can shut it down and then run it for a bit so that your exhaust is dry, i've heard complaints about rust otherwise