Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aquired another truck 6 hours ago, and already pulled out a Ford with it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 13, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

So I buy this '76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 for $692.00 at about 4 pm to drive for a while before I rob parts off it.

I fix a few things on it, do some running around with it, then just after 9 pm, a friend calls me and says he's stuck out at the ORV park. He got his Ford high centered in ruts in a big puddle.

So, off I go in my new ugly Chevy truck to pull out the Ford. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Moral of the story:
    well there is no specific one, but you get the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah! You have yet another rig to your collection /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

"THE FLEET" continues to grow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. mountainexplorer

Well, I'm not keeping this one. Its just a driver for now. I've been driving a 2wd 1/2 ton with the front A-arm held on with a ratchet strap for the past couple weeks.

Out of all the rigs in the Fleet, only 2 actually run and can be driven on the road right now, my Suburban and the Orange Blazer, both of which aren't at the house in town.

I never like going two weeks in a row anyway driving the same vehicle. I made it through 4 years of College without having to buy a parking permit.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It must be cheap to title a vehicle where you live. Here it is nearly $200 for title and plates.......no way I could afford all that junk then.

Hell I call mine a fleet and I've only got four trucks....

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My "fleet" of four is kinda expensive--my van has been unregistered since I swapped the plates to the 82 diesel last december so I could plow--its still 130 bucks a month for the three remaining vehicles,its getting to the point where none of them I trust for more than local(100-300)mile trips.It sucks when I can buy another decent truck for less than the cost of title ($50),insurance($500)and plates(15 to swap,35 for new).
    But I like my junky old GM trucks--must be a disease--nothing like pulling a shiny ford out of a dilema with your rotted chevy ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    It must be cheap to title a vehicle where you live. Here it is nearly $200 for title and plates.......no way I could afford all that junk then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about $12 in Washington State to transfer a title. Plus sales tax on the price (in this case, like 8% sales tax on $300 which is the price I had the guy write down).

I'm a tightwad with money. Had this truck not still had current tabs through December (meaning I would have had to spend about $90 total with tabs instead of about $45 for just title transfer and sales tax), I probably would have gone straight to parting it out.

But I figure if I spend $45 on sales tax and title transfer, my investment in the truck will be approximately $737. Assuming I drive the truck for a while without breaking anything or any major malfunctions, I know I can sell the SB400 motor for $300-$350, SM465/NP205 for $300, and 14 Bolt/Dana 44 for probably $400.

I never buy anything unless I know I can get my money back out of it or more when I'm through. Now I just have to make sure I don't break anything on it.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I never like going two weeks in a row anyway driving the same vehicle. I made it through 4 years of College without having to buy a parking permit.

[/ QUOTE ]nice /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif when i was taking night school i would park the sub on the 15 inch high concret islands or on top of some huge snow pile!!

[ QUOTE ]
    only 2 actually run and can be driven on the road right now, my Suburban and the Orange Blazer, both of which aren't at the house in town.

[/ QUOTE ] hey what about the kick ass crew???

9. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    when i was taking night school i would park the sub on the 15 inch high concret islands or on top of some huge snow pile!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey what about the kick ass crew???

[/ QUOTE ]

The little Crew Cab sits complete. I just replaced the clutch 3 months ago, and everything on it was doing great. Then the motor started knocking a month ago. So it sits until I can find a cheap 454 donor truck. I think I have an '84 3/4 ton 4x4 lined up with a good 454 for $1500 (over half of which I can trade for). I'll just buy it, keep the 454, swap a 350 in it and put it up for $1700 and have the 454 to put in the Crew cab.

The Big Crew Cab is sitting on blocks. No axles, no motor. I want to put a Dana 60/14 bolt back into it with 5.13 gears. The 12" suspension lift is halfway installed. The motor is sitting as a block and parts in bags. I have a ways to go before it makes some noise again.

10. mountainexplorer

Here is the new gem of a truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the stuck Ford that it pulled out:
    [​IMG]

11. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

You must drive all over the country looking for parts trucks so you can hog all the 8 lug stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: Aquired another truck 6 hours ago, and already pulled out a Ford with i

[ QUOTE ]

Hell I call mine a fleet and I've only got four trucks....

[/ QUOTE ]

License plates stay with a vehicle out here and if there is time left on them the new owner gets to use it up unlike IL where you have to remove the plates when you sell a rig and pay a transfer fee if you want to put them on another rig.

WA state is OK but Oregon is the cheapest though. $30 to title a vehicle, no sales tax, and you get to keep what ever time is left on the tags /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif