Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arab Port Deal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

How do you feel about the possibility of Arab run US ports?

As someone else was quoted, "Why not just eliminate the middle man and hand it directly over to Al Qaida."

Why would anyone trust a country that fosters the majority of nutbags is beyond me. :screwy:

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not exactly true for the U.A.E. but it makes no sense still. Why not a contractor?

3. gauder

gauder Banned

It'll probably happen though. The U.S. is so afraid of being un-politically correct anymore that it's not that far off.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think people who stay safe by non participation and acquiescence are heading for a really really hard life lesson

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

X2 I don't know, doesn't make very much sense, especially since one of the ports is Newark, at the doorstep of NYC.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Don't get me started. The sheer stupidity is un ****ing believable.....

7. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

x2 , I don't care what party is in control as they will all sell us out . This is pure stupidity at it's best . They have C.Rice visiting in the arab countries AND these rag head's don't repect women . And now we are going to turn our port's over to an arab corporation :mad: . Why can't we take care of our on ports ? I guess if it stand's to reason if we can't protect our borders we might as well do the same with our port's . The leaders of our country ( all parties ) are idiots and we will all suffer for it in the near future .

8. gauder

gauder Banned

And the newest popular drug: Hashish.

9. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dumb dumb dumb

10. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I say let 'em have it. Sooner are later it's gonna bite us so hard in the ass that the whole nation will do an 180. Not that I support them, but look at what the Nazis did, turned a whole country around in like 3 years. Sooner or later, Americans are gonna get tired of busting their butts for $5.15 an hour and $3 gas. One thing that history has taught us, don't mess with peoples money. All it's gonna take is a pissed off country and a nationalistic president. I don't think its to far off.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd rather not see this country have to learn a lesson the hard way, even though it might be the only way. I hate to bring it up but it didn't take very long after September 11 for people to go on their merry way and forget about it.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Everyone (myself probably included) is all talk and no action.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd hate to see it happen.

What I find kind of amusing, though, is how when Bush said Iraq is a terror supporting nation, everyone got on his case that he had no proof of that and hes wrong for even implying it, and Chuck Schumer is now in the news saying "We're handing the keys of our ports to a nation with a history of terrorism", which he has no proof of whatsoever either.

It's also kinda funny that everyone is so worried about a Muslim-government controlled company controlling our ports. I though Islam was a peaceful religion and it was only fringe extremeists that used violence in Islam!

Aside from the ironies, I find it a disturbing and troubling consideration.
    On one hand, we want to show these countries that we're accepting and do not pre-judge, but on the other, it's like a retail store owner giving up his right to not allow a known shoplifter to enter.
    Our base system of capitalism says let the party who can do the best job at the lowest price do it, but we need to consider realities and history, and be discriminate when it comes to serious issues of the country's security.

I don't even know what they're being considered to manage. Is it the paperwork, traffic, actual operations, security, or what? This whole thing might be a lot of media hype over something that will not effect port security and the things we're really concerned about anyway...

And I hate to be prejudiced, but knowing what I know of Islam, I wouldn't allow a Muslim government to have any control over any of our interests if I could help it (like our oil, too...).

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I guess we cant do what we did during WW2 though, ya know with the whole japanese interment and everything. (insert DOH smiley here)

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The "Infiltration" factor is what concerns me. There are very small rich Arab countries which are "friendly" because they are interested in Capitalism, trade and business ties. The problem I see is the ability of someone to gain employment, gain access, and execute a plan. They'll be running the ports, observing operations, learning the system at each of those facilities, and potentially passing that information along to unfriendly compatriots. All it takes is one reasonably well placed employee/sympathizer with some common sense and a desire to see this country harmed. Probably wouldn't happen right away but over a few years when people drop their guard and get sloppy. I think calling it a calculated risk is an understatement.

16. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I also heard on the news that the arab company had a clause in their contract to the Brits that if they were to buy the company that the US couldn't investigate the company, what are they trying to hide?

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

We have to let them have it... How are we going to look when illegals from Mexico can get jobs here, but we won't allow legit people to work here? Why not throw black people into their own schools, ship off the Aisians, kill the Mexicans, and go back to our white-supremicist roots?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What I don't get is why would we (The USA) let anyone controle our sea ports. That makes no sense to me what so ever. Our sea ports should be controled by our country and our country only. I can see Homeland Security being involved.

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The rest of those "groups" aren't interested in destroying the country. The supremacist idea is a lot of horse puckey.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's kinda what I was thinking, but not as well illustrated. On the other hand, Mexican extremists aren't killing Americans and issuing fatwas against us... Muslims are (and not just extremists; respected caliphs signed the fatwas).

Jiminy, good point. No border control there...