Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB air lockers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91KJIMMY, Oct 8, 2000.

1. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

I am considering installing an ARB air locker in my rear 10 Bolt.I want to know how it will make the truck handle if it's engaged while driving on snow covered roads at normal speeds. Will the trucks front end get pushed all over the road?

2. Well the answer is'nt that easy.On icey slushy roads you would be beter off with it unlocked.But as the snow gets deeper then you could lock it in for beter traction.The best thing to do is try it locked and unlocked and see what works best for you.Just some food for thought.LOL
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I considered the same thing, but it is hard for me to deal with the fact that the locker is worth more than both of my 10-bolt axles. In fact, 1 ARB and a compressor costs about the same as a set of 3/4 ton axles and a Detroit. Also, the ARB is the most difficult differential to set up the ring and pinion on, so a shop will probably charge you extra for it.

As for the driving conditions, who cares whether locked or open is better? You can change back and forth as often as you like at the push of a button. This is the whole point to going with ARB. With any other option, your question becomes very important because you have to choose one or the other and changing it over even twice a year is really just too much work.

BTW: 91's are the bomb!

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Right now ARB is not making the air locker for the gm 10, 12 or the ford 8.5 inch to many were braking !!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I have had ARB in front and rear for over 10 years without any problems. The installation can be
    DIY if you are very careful. It is not easy to install one of these things, and you must take your time and be
    sure everything is just right (gear mesh). I am impressed with the quality and
    can't imagine where the breakage is? The diff carrier is machined steel and very beefy. I have abused
    the air compressor for years and it still works like new.

SteveB

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The problem was in the spider gears! guess you could get it locked up in such away that it was useing just one tooth on the spider and the tooth comes off!!!! Granted you had to have a lot of tork and push to hard on the gas but it could be done and was done often. The ones that in my d44 has always worked like a champ.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Just hope that when you hit the ARB button, that it'll engage! Too many things have to happen for it to engage. I wonder, did I snag the air line on a piece of brush? Have the little O ring seals in the diff gone bad? Is the compressor working? HUH! Too many things for me to worry about and have to keep maintained!! Give me the no-brainer of a Detroit or a Spool and I'll deal with the ice driving...course there's not too much of that here in sunny So Cal!!!

ken

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I had the same concerns, especially the O rings, but so far so good (installed August 1989) The compressor has large ball bearings (I had to take it apart Hah!!!) and it is still OK also. I agree, if you loose air you loose lock.

SteveB