Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 27, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Does anyone who runs an ARB locker know how long you have to leave the compressor on til the locker has enough pressure? I hooked mine up and the compressor runs fine. I then flip the switch for the locker and the light on the switch lights up. But, as soon as I flip the switch for the compressor back off, the light for the locker goes off too...???? Also, I put the kit on that lets you use the ARB compressor to inflate your tires, and it seems like the air is always coming out of that fitting, is this right? Isn't that how it's designed to work, as a quick connect? Or do you have to take it off completely and cap that fitting off? Thanks for any help!

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Don't Have much experience with ARB's.But it sounds like you have a bad air leak.Because too keep the locker locked it needs constant pressure and when you turn off the commpressor it starts losing pressure.And no a good quick dissconnect shouldn't leak air.I would recommend getting a small reserve tank like the sun products one or a old semi brake tank.It will make filling tires much faster and if you do have a small leak it will take much longer for it too lose pressure.Remember teflon tape is your friend.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like you have the power to the locker switch connected to the power feed for the compressor. So when you turn off power to the compressor, it also turns off power to the locker switch. The locker switch should get 12 volts any time the ignition switch is in the "run" postion.

Don't know about the air leak. Sounds like something is wrong there. Having a continuous leak is not a good thing. The ARB's that I've seen on the trail seldom kick on the compressor to keep the ARB engaged. It'll run for a few seconds until it builds pressure, then switch itself off.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well figured out the problem. I goofed big time on the air chuck part, put the wrong end on first, so the valve was open. After I kicked myself, I simply switched the ends and it worked as advertised. The compressor turns on, after a few seconds it turns off and the air locker is locked...but then a few minutes later it came back on...thinking that was wrong, I soon found a tiny little air leak coming from the compressor itself, near where the air cleaner is. Some soapy water showed that it looks like the seal at that end is leaking very slowly, enough to kill the pressure after a few minutes. 4WheelParts is gonna exchange it if they can't get it to seal...I didn't want to take it all apart until they decide what they will do. Oh well, always something!!

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

BigD, when you put one of those air tanks on, how long does it take the compressor to fill it up? Do you just fill it once until you use it or do you have to fill it every time you go wheeling or turn off the compressor? That would be nice to have some stored air, because they say even with the ARB compressor it takes about 5 minutes to fill my 35" tire from 15 psi to 35 psi. That isn't bad compared to the POS sears electrical compressor I am using now, but faster is always better! :)

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I helped a friend install one of the sun performance tanks.I think it was 2.5 gallons.He had one of the quickair electric pumps.We wired in a pressure switch that turned the pump on and off.this filled the system and tank then turned off at 90 psi.It didn't take too long too fill the tank.