Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB for 14-bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just saw in my new Petersen's that they are coming out with an ARB for the 14-bolt. Could it be true? That would be very cool - assuming it won't explode or anything that is.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its been on Pirate for a while and posted here a few times. Pictures and all. the T0Locker is coming as well.(another air locker for it) DOubt we will see either for a bit.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea dont hold your breath i know the ARB has been "in the process" for atleaset 3 years... and if they ever do build one ill probably be the first to order 1

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Don't know how soon they will be to market, but they were testing the prototype in mid November, below is a cut and paste from a local board:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]"OK guys, who has won the lottery and has a truck tuff enough to give a good thrashing to our 14 bolt Air Locker prototype?

It's got to be big, have lots 'o engine and you got to want to break something....Oh and it's got to be done this week with some thrashing this weekend.
    [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]__________________
    Tim the tech man
    206-264-1669
    Air Locker Inc.
    20 So. Spokane St.
    Seattle, WA 98134
    tlund@arbusa.com

Design it, Fab it, then Wheel it

Yeah, I wear a kilt... what you aren't man enough?"
    [/font]

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah ill by a air locker

isent the 14bolt arb like the new 3-1 gears for the 205?
    mmmmmm ARB

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

haha that doesn't look right :laugh:

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

your right, the side gears look too close together...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I LOVE that pic. ARBs are overrated.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

maybe but iirc this exploded UNlocked on the street and wasent that old.

i have hurd of people with arb wish they had a detroit but never hurd of anyone with a detriot wishing they had an arb.

and yeah who has won the lotto to but this new locker, might want to pick up the new 3-1 gears for you 205, if they ever get around to makeing them.

makeing one dosent count.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

So what casued that 14SF breakage and did ARB help in anyway?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nonsense. I definitely could have bought one. I don't want a selectable spool. I don't want any spool. I want lockers and that's what I have. Everyone just assumes ARBs are better....if you believe that, great. Detroits work just fine. I would lake any auto locker over a selectable spool any day.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the only reason I would buy an ARB is for cutting brakes... and not even then. If I really wanted one I'd save and buy one, I could do it, I don't want one. I'd take one if I won one, but I'd sell it and buy a detroit for my 60 and my 14 bolt :D I'm going to run cutting brakes and it will work just fine with the triple stick doubler and detroit.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No, I think there overrated. I had to install a bunch at work. Maybe youall are jsut too picky. Whats wrong with a detroit? Or an OX? There overrated.:D

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

If i wanted a spool when im wheeling then i would put a spool in the truck. ARB's are, IMHO, one of the biggest wastes of money out there. If you like them thats just fine, its all personal preference anyway, but i dont.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have no desire for one. I have heard the "are both of my wheels spinnig?" question from the ARB crowd. From what I have known about ARB advocates is most of them never owned a locker before. I have had open, trac-loc, welded (sucked on the street), and a detroit (current). I have absolutely no desire to have an ARB. They will be just under 1K when they come out and you still need thier crappy compressor to keep the warranty.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Anyone that wastes their money on such a contraption should be required to tattoo that sentence, spelled correctly and backwards on their forehead.

17. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, you guys are so angry about ARB's, what the heck? I'd want them so I can play weekend warrior and still have good road manners when driving to work in the ice and snow. I can really notice it in the front, and I only have an Auburn right now. Around here we have patches of ice and snow, and then it dries up for long stretches. So you end up going in and out of 4Hi all the time. So you want to leave your hubs locked, and something like a locker makes stuff kind of weird.

For a dedicated trail rig, do whatever you want. ARB's might still be a plus to make steering easier on rocks and stuff, but I don't have enough experience to say.

18. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I sure don't understand the resentment I see here. If I daily drove my truck, I'd want a selectable locker. I love my Detroit. I've never wanted a selectable locker in the front before. I can't remember a single time when I engaged 4wd that I thought to myself "man, I hope only one tire pulls". The rear is a different story. I think I would be great to drive to the trail with an open diff and then spool it up when I get there.

19. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

But its a spool when ya want it to be a spool.When its off,its open.In a front (or rear) aplication,you dont "need" to be locked 100% of the time.Being open in the front you wont have to deal with the push (or pull,however ya wanna look at it) when ya wanna turn sharp in 4wd that you can get with a Detroit.And no,hydro assist can do nothing for the push you get as many would like to believe.It has nothing to do with how sharp you can turn the wheels.I can go aloooong ways through crazy stuff with the front unlocked.If I start to spin a front tire,flip the switch.Its not that hard,but if thats too much for you...:confused:

For me a Detroit in the rear is the only option.For the front I will never have anything but an ARB.

Shoot,Mastiff gets it and he doesnt even have one :laugh:

20. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I cant remember a single time I have ever thought,"man,I wish my front diff would lock every time I touch the gas while turning" :D