Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB for 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are they acting like there will ever be an ARB for 14bff?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Just weld it or spool it.
    Bill

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

spool? I've never seen a 14 bolt spool mini or full available on todays market. In the future yes but not now.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh, yeah Randy's has them... So does Sandy Cone.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow I completely missed them

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My guess is that by asking about an ARB, welding or a spool is out of the question. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not a detroit?? but there isnt an ARB available yet..

8. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    why not a detroit?? but there isnt an ARB available yet..

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive around here on the icy roads in winter and want to keep the road manners as mild as possible. I was contemplating an ARB up front, so why not go all out? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

The ARB site lists "GM 14 bolt, 9.5" dia. RG, 4800-5700 lb", which I'm not sure what it means. All the rest are semi-float.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The 9.5" is the semi-floating 14 bolt...not what you're looking for.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

10-4 on the snow manners.. ive only driven in snow once, and if i do it again, it would be too soon.. it actually wasnt bad.. but challenging for a floridian..

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

ARB has been saying for years that it is in development and each time someone contacts them asking, they say it should be out next year. I've been asking for three years now and get the same response each time. I honestly don't believe they are working on it at all, so I gave up and went looking for a rear end that they already made one for (D70). That may not be an option for you though.

12. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    ARB has been saying for years that it is in development and each time someone contacts them asking, they say it should be out next year. I've been asking for three years now and get the same response each time. I honestly don't believe they are working on it at all, so I gave up and went looking for a rear end that they already made one for (D70). That may not be an option for you though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the 14bff yet, but what I've heard around here makes it seem real promising, like that it can basically bolt in without too many mods. I'm not really set up to cut off and reweld perches, move around shock mounts, etc.

If money were no object, I'd order a D60 from Dynatrac all set up and ready to go. Unfortunately, I think it'd be pushing $3K for that, so a 14bff from the junkyard sounds pretty nice.

Since I think I'd like to go ARB someday, I'm trying to find out if the 14b rules that out.

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    spool? I've never seen a 14 bolt spool mini or full available on todays market. In the future yes but not now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at an older ad, approximately 2 years, from a magazine and Drivetrain Direct is the advertisee. They have listed and a picture of a 14FF spool for "only $169.95". Their number is 1-888-584-4327. Might be worth checking out. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

To get an ARB in the rear of a GM and have a strong axle I would say find a dana 70 or 60.

The 14 is not an economical choice for ARB to build. The stock case has been deamed plenty strong by trac-tech (detroit locker). The harcore detroit is $350 give or take and drops in with hand tools (if you have an open carrier). An ARB would run near $900 in part because of the amount of metal needed to keep it stronger than all others, due to the fact that we (CK5'rs) love to try to blow up 14FF as a hobby.
    It is up to you in the end..

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have the 14bff yet, but what I've heard around here makes it seem real promising, like that it can basically bolt in without too many mods. I'm not really set up to cut off and reweld perches, move around shock mounts, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally. I had a 3/4t 14FF, sold it last night simply because I found a D70HD for a great price.
    I'm not set up to do the mods necessary to swap it in myself, but for the strength and the ability to run the ARB I'm willing to either take it to a shop or over to friends place and have it done.

If I hadn't found the Dana I was gonna build the 14FF with discs, and a detroit, even though I'm building the rig for snow wheeling.

If that's what you have in mind, I'd go with the 14 for now but keep your eyes peeled for a 60 or 70 rear. Or it your really lucky and as nuts as I am maybe even a D80 someday /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

What's a good vehicle to find a D70 on?

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Some of the older 1 ton dually's.
    I'd watch out for the chassis cabs because they are narrower. I'm not sure what else to look for them under. The one I'm geting came out of a 4wd tow truck and has a 74" wms to wms which works great with Hummer rims.

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

At least they have a part number listed for them now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I got this reply Mid-December last yr.

[ QUOTE ]
    Rod,

Yes, it is part number RD114 and should be available mid-next year.

Best Regards,

Tim Lund
    Tech Supervisor
    Engineering Assistant
    Air Locker, Inc.
    206-264-1669
    20 So. Spokane St.
    Seattle, WA 98134
    tlund@arbusa.com<br />
    <hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

19. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Newer Dodges and some fords have the Dana 70/80 axles. My Inlaws have a D70 under mid thier 90's 350 Ford Van.

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's a good vehicle to find a D70 on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest way is to look at the Fords. LOTS of D70 in them.
    As far as moving the mounts, it will be fairly cheap if you grind the old ones off, figure where you want them put, and clamp them down.

If you have a welding shop nearby, or a friend in construction or whatever, it shouldn't cost to much at all to have the mounts tacked in, since you have already done all the hard work.