Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB or Detroit in the front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rich Walsh, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Rich Walsh

Rich Walsh Registered Member

Have a front Dana 60 that I'm building. A detroit would be strong, and cheaper than an ARB, but I'm concerned that I'll have to fight the steering wheel to turn on the trail. Anyone running a Detroit in the front with good results?

For a while I'll be running stock steering. Will probably go to crossover in the future.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Please keep in mind that I only have a 10-bolt front...

I have a full Detroit in front. If I were to do it again, I would save a little longer, spend the extra money and put in an ARB. As a matter of fact, I may do that anyway once I get my onboard air setup. I could probably still sell my Detroit C-Locker.

I love the locker on the trail and am glad I went with it over a limited slip, but I do get nervous about tight turns. I usually run in 2WD with the hubs locked when offroad. Then, if I get where I need the front axle, I put it in 4WD. This keeps me from having to fight the front too much on tight turns and helps keep me from putting enough torque on the u-joints to break them.

I would also go with the ARB as it would necessitate onboard air. And, as I have discovered, this is a highly desirable option anyway.

Detroit is cheaper, but not if you have to do it again later and go ahead with the ARB because you are unhappy with the Detroit. That then makes the ARB much cheaper!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'll tell you if it wasn't for the fact that I can run 2 low when the trail is easy I would dislike the front being locked. One of my buds who doesn't have 2 low on his 79 Bronco drives around with the driver side hub unlocked. When you need the traction nothing can beat being locked in the front but a ARB or a OX sure would be nice so you can steer.
    I was seriously thinking about pulling the locker out of the front for the winter so I can go back to full time. Our winter has been so mild it wasn't worth it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

If you're going to run some kind of hydrolic/hydro-assist steering, you'd be fine running the detroit. I run an ARB in my D60 and am very happy with it. I'm also running the AGR Rock Ram, when I have the ARB engaged offroad (on rocks) the Rock Ram works great! No fighting the wheel at all.

If this is a vehicle that will be restricted to mostly offroad or always run in 2WD while on the road (doesn't state in your profile where you're at), run the Detroit (and save the $) and run a hydrolic steering setup. If it will be a daily driver (and encounter snow) run the ARB.

I'm sure there are other opinions. This is my $.02.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I run a detroit but the truck is strictly off road use only.
    Your turning radius definately gets affected. I also have cross over steering.
    I am happy with the detroit. I've never had an ARB but have heard good things. The ability to turn it on and off is attractive

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

6. If you can afford it, ARB is the way to go.

Alcoholism isn't a problem, it's a GOAL!!!!!!!

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My only concern with this (some sort of assist to counter the fighting) is that, if you are having to fight something, that could mean that you are pushing something close to its limits. That isn't always true, but one of the reasons you have to fight the steering with a full Detroit is that the front end is binding. With some sort of power assist, the power would fight this for you, making it easier on you but just as hard on the parts. I would be concerned that this would lead to more chance of axle u-joint failure.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!