Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB with no compressor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Mar 30, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you could run a ARB with no compressor as long as you kept a small tank on board and filled it up before leaving right?
    Also about how many times can you lock a ARB before the compressor kicks back on?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just a guess..
    Your better off using a Powertank or regulated C02, that way you won't run out....I am guessing the compressed air tank won't be ehough...I could be wrong.

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

CO2 works great!

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a power tank.
    I also bought an inline constant 80 psi. regulator from mcmaster carr, and put that in right before the arb selenoid.... That way i could accidently bump my power tank regulator up to 120 psi and the constant regulator will always kick it down to 80 psi preventing me from blowing my arb seals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The only problem with a small tank, it depends on how many times your going to be locking and unlocking your arb.. if you were on a whole weekend trip, i'd say you'd want a powertank then.. It should only be releasing air when you turn off the arb and it goes PSSHHHT.. otherwise it's not consuming any air, just using the 80 psi to hold it locked. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's not uncommon for ARB's to leak just slightly. I've been on many trips where someones ARB compressor would be kicking on every few minutes while the diff was locked. (And I've also been on trips where you could hear air escaping from the diff vent line, while the ARB never locked). /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It doesn't take much volume of air to lock an ARB, so with no leaks, and judicious use of the diff-lock button then a 3 gallon or so tank should easily last for a day trip.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

just currious how much does the entire powertank setup way?

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Does the compressor just INGAGE it then sit, then DISENGAGE it and sit? Like all it does it turn the locker on and off? If so why does everyone upgrade to bigger tanks if all it takes it a little air? thanks

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

It would work OK for a time or 2, but I doubt you would be very happy without a compressor in the long term. My compressor kicks in more often when the ARBs have been on for a short while, but after an hour or so they seem to seal better and compressor stays off for long periods.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

why do they leak down?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So a york compressor or something would work better? I'm planning on getting a ARB eventually so I want to no whats best. I dont no much about air supplies so any help would be great. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

the air moves a splined assembly in the center of the diff carrier. So the air has to go through a rotary joint. This is formed by an O-ring seal inboard of bearing cap. I think the air pressure being on the O-ring helps to seal it better. The CFM of air that is consumed by leakage is almost nothing, but there has to be sufficient pressure to overcome the return spring, and engage the unit.