Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARB ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ScoobyDann, Aug 1, 2001.

1. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    Ok, HispancPanic and I were kikin back the other night and he asks me a perplexing question. "how does an ARB work?" more perplexing is when your in 4x4 w/ the arb locked, and you decide to turn, you flip the switch off. do you have one wheel turnimg? does the ARB have spider gears to let the tires differenciate llike an open. if it does have spider gears how does it "lock" man, i just don't get it. basically, how does that ever so expensive, i mean popular ARB locker work?

danny

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

My best explanation is as follows. The diff operates like an open one when the switch is off allowing you to turn easy. When the air is applied a piston of sorts slides a collar that locks the differential. That's my best explanation but all I know is that it works well and is a good investment.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

3. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    thats where im confused "acts like an open" so i figure there ARE spider gears because how else would it differenciate on turns. im just trying to cram some more information into my head so I can say I know everything

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

4. bart

bart Registered Member

from the ARB website...

HOW THE AIR LOCKER WORKS

The ARB Air Locker is an air operated, driver controlled differential lock activated by pushing a dash mounted button.
    When the dash mounted button is pushed, compressed air, delivered by the ARB 12 volt, on board air compressor is passed via a 12 volt solenoid down an air line into the differential housing. The air travels into the differential centre via a specially designed seal housing which seals against an extended bearing spigot.

Via air galleries, the compressed air enters the piston chamber and actuates the piston and clutch gear, moving the gear into the locked position. The clutch gear now locks the side gear to the differential housing instantly stopping any differential action. The diff is now 100% locked, and both axles will deliver 100% traction.

To disengage the differential the dash mounted switch is again pushed, which releases the compressed air via the solenoid and the piston springs return the piston to its original position. The differential is then fully open allowing full, standard differential action.

The ARB Air Locker only takes a split second to engage, making it the only, truly, driver controlled, differential locking system.