Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arc Audio Amp is in..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by santana, Feb 14, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Well after hagglin with the previous owner I picked up the amp ande had it installed, as it does supply alot,--alot-- of power it failed to deliver the type of Bass I was getting from the Rockford.. Don't get me wrong this is an excelent amp, it just doesn't compliment the type of Bass response I like..Maybe the subs don't work well with the amp or whatever but I gotta say it is definitely more powerful than others I've owned. I'm just about ready to install the second Power 1000bd and a second pair of Kickers and see what that does.. 2- 1000bd's and 4 12" Kickers should be enough to wake people up on my way to work at 3:30 in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well after hagglin with the previous owner I picked up the amp ande had it installed, as it does supply alot,--alot-- of power it failed to deliver the type of Bass I was getting from the Rockford.

[/ QUOTE ] Try a MMATS amp. I'm running a MMATS D200hc powering a single Kicker solobaric (Square sub) 12 in a sealed box in my daily driver (98 Dodge Stratus) and it hits low and hard. Sounds better then my friend's pair of RF 12's on a RF 1200watt amp. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Good deal even at "Buy me now"

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Arc is still a far superior amp over MMATS, IMHO and from previous experience. No pun intended, different strokes for different folks. I'll stick with my tested and proven RF's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll stick with my tested and proven RF's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Words that I live by. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Arc is still a far superior amp over MMATS

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Arc is still a far superior amp over MMATS,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bingo! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What subs are you running? What model arc is it? How is it wired? I have never heard ANY RF come close to being as tight and crisp as an arc amp. But I guess if you wan't your bass dirty and boomy RF is the way to go... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifj/k /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Maybe your EQ isn't adjusted right, mine sounded terrible when we first fired it up after install but as soon as Mike adjusted some nobs it sounded terrific.

I can't figure out your prob. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Well after hagglin with the previous owner I picked up the amp ande had it installed, as it does supply alot,--alot-- of power it failed to deliver the type of Bass I was getting from the Rockford.. Don't get me wrong this is an excelent amp, it just doesn't compliment the type of Bass response I like..Maybe the subs don't work well with the amp or whatever but I gotta say it is definitely more powerful than others I've owned. I'm just about ready to install the second Power 1000bd and a second pair of Kickers and see what that does.. 2- 1000bd's and 4 12" Kickers should be enough to wake people up on my way to work at 3:30 in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bother doing any critical listening to the amp or subs until you've got at LEAST 40 hours of run time on them...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I have had PLENTY of experiences with high end audio (speakers mostly, but it applies to amps and head units) where the system seemed "muffled" or "compressed" sounding when I first started playing music through it. Over the first few hours, as the speakers start to exercise their suspensions and the electronics really start to burn in and get up to operating temperatures for extended periods of time, you WILL hear the sound become more effortless, and open and it will get noticeably BETTER sounding....

If you take brand new subs and simply crank the hell out of them right out of the box, it's no wonder they won't sound right. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

You're right, just like an engine the subs/amps need a break-in period.. The local stereo shop here has a tool they use where they run the subs thru for a certain amount of time at certain frequencies, don't know what and/or for how long but I was give to try a brand new set of subs and a broken in set ant the difference is noticeable. I listen to different types of music i.e Rock, Funk, Old School, and stuff with deep Bass and it's very hard to have a "perfect" amp that you can use for different types of music, I guess you just have to go with something you can listen to everything with. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I have an audio setup/adjustment CD that is used for such and it plays from the lowest lows to the highest highs and everything else in between to the maximun level and the stuff I'm using now gives me the fullest reproduction in the full spectrum.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Arc is still a far superior amp over MMATS,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bingo! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What subs are you running? What model arc is it? How is it wired? I have never heard ANY RF come close to being as tight and crisp as an arc amp. But I guess if you wan't your bass dirty and boomy RF is the way to go... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifj/k /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Maybe your EQ isn't adjusted right, mine sounded terrible when we first fired it up after install but as soon as Mike adjusted some nobs it sounded terrific.

I can't figure out your prob. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What problem? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

It's an ARC 2500cxl wired thru a 1.0 farad cap @ 2 ohms to 2- 12 Kicker Comp VR's DVC in a downfire enclosure. Dont get me wrong the ARC is an extremely powerful amp but the RF Power 1000 gives me a deeper body shaking bass, the kind you feel not hear..

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

It's an ARC 2500cxl wired thru a 1.0 farad cap @ 2 ohms to 2- 12 Kicker Comp VR's DVC in a downfire enclosure. Dont get me wrong the ARC is an extremely powerful amp but the RF Power 1000 gives me a deeper body shaking bass, the kind you feel not hear..

[/ QUOTE ] Thats the same amp as one of mine, CXL 2500, it's a badass amp and it friggin' rocks in my truck. Seriously, Are you sure the bass is turned up enough on the amp itself. That amp should make your hair shake on top of your head. Maybe it's the subs... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's just that if an RF is outdoing the Arc then something soesn't seem right. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Dude, it does make my skin shiver and it's not that the RF is out doing the ARC, as a matter of fact it is very powerful but I play my competition CD in each and the low,low bass frquencies are not there with the ARC for some reason as they are with the Rockford but as far as for bone crushing kickdrum bass, the type of bass that if you stick yor face inside the cab, will smack you silly, there's ARC but for the type of bass where it hits and it rumbles the ground, RF.. IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. rjfguitar

But..but.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Seriously an Arc audio, Audiobahn, MMATS, JL audio... high quality amps should beat out a rather "economy" amp like a RF, like it's a prison b!tch. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm not saying anything bad about RF's at all, all I'm saying is that for what the high end amps cost they should out perform the cheaper economy amps significantly. I don't get it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's like comparing a corvette and a cavalier... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Something's not right....

If the sub enclosure hasn't changed, and all you've changed is the amp then the ultra-low frequency information should STILL be available. That's more a function of the speakers and enclosure than the amp.

Let the amp break-in some more and see if things get any "deeper"....that's certainly something that could happen. Other than that, I'd be looking for a subsonic filter switch that's accidentally been enabled, or a crossover slope that's not quite adjusted right. If the upper-bass/midbass has too much emphasis, it could be drowning out the REAL low frequency stuff.....

14. rjfguitar

I'm with Greg, something is out of adjustment and not EQ'd right...