Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

arching lift springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, Aug 3, 2001.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get 8" of suspension lift and I already have a 4" shackle flip in the rear. I just got off the phone with St. Louis spring and they quoted me $130/spring, which sounds pretty good. However, he told me he can't be exactly sure how much lift his springs will give me. For the front spring, he can arch a spring 8" over stock but it could be 8" +/-. I wanted to go with a custom spring because of the extra weight from the big block up front; he (Jim) suggested a 5 or 6 leaf spring. I'm just looking for some input here. Does anyone know what I should tell him so I can be assured an 8" lift spring? The same problem exists for the 4" rear spring. The price seems right, but would it be more cost effective to go with a kit? Also, how do I go about getting one of the top plates for the passenger side front spring for a D60? Thanks.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Do you know what the rate of compression is, in pounds per inch, for the custom packs you are getting? Do they match stock? If you contact National Spring Co. and talk to their tech guys about this you might be able to get a better answer. I would think that if you guy were to make a spring that was arched 8" over stock UNDER load, i.e. what ever the current load is( weight of front end - 85lbs.= softer ride_vs._weight of front end + 135lbs= H.D. spring), you would have that 8" lift you want. Just remember to get your guy to install teflon tips to reduce friction and increase your flex, regardless of what spring rate you get its a good idea.

3. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i was under the impression that if you re-arched a spring that it would go back to normal, or mabye in your case sag quicker than say a custom or "out of the box" spring.

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If you re-arch a spring it will flaten out an then break. I think he is talking about a company that actually makes their own springs from the ground up. I am guessing that they are a company just like national Spring Co.