Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arching your own springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisers26, Apr 18, 2005.

1. weisers26

weisers26 Registered Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I know that you can get your springs arched from a pro shop, mainly because they do that kind of stuff all the time. We have a local shop that will put in a 4" arch into the springs for about $90 each pack. But I was wondering if anyone as attempted or done their own springs? And if so, how difficult is it and where abouts on the springs do you press? Yes, I do have a shop press at hand. Or even better yet, if there is a link to a website on "how to", that would be great too.
  2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

May 19, 2001
    I see three issues here that all point to not doing this yourself...

1) rearched springs eventually settle back to their original shape.

2) you can get brand new lift springs (BDS from JDs) for a few dollars more than $90 per pack

3) if you don't know what you're doing or have the right equipment, the end result could be dangerous

anyway, Ive never seen a 'how to rearch your springs' www page or anything. I really don't think its a 'do it yourself' type of mod...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Nov 1, 2004
    i use to work at a spring shop. and the only big problem i would see is how thay are going to strech the main leaf length. with that said the more arc in a given spring combo he longer the leaf to get the same eye to eye distance. we did a set for a guy and only went 1.5 more arch and lost about 1 3/4 " in eye to eye distence. this will make it vary hard to hook up and be hard on the parts. and if your springs are old just buy new thay will last much longer.