Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are 14-bolt Pinnion cages interchangeable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, May 27, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

In the middle of a gear swap for my M1008. couldn't get the pinnion to press out on my harbor freight mickey mouse press, so I took it to the local tranny shop to give them a crack at it, thier 30-ton didn't like it either, so its in an oven overnight to hopefully loosen it up. Got home and figured maybe I could use the cage off my spare 14. It would slide in but not at the correct position and wouldn't clock into place either. Are these supposed to be interchangeable or were they bored in place, and it's one to one?

2. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes they are but you need to make sure it's of the same style (88 and older or 88 and newer). You can swap between styles but you need different bearings.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they will also not use the same shims as the original one would. i have ran into some trouble doing this before. the depth the pinion support sits in the housing differs from housing to housing

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have the original cage back now, and installed. It's a very tight fit. On my other 14 I can remove the cage by hand, made it very easy to add-subtract shims. This one needs persuaded both ways. not a bad starting pattern but still have work to do. thanks

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SHIMS?? ya'll must have a weird 14b, i had mine apart, no shims, everything is pressed in place, and backlash is set through the carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Where are these shims you are talking about installed, what position on the pinion? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. willyswanter

Uh, the shims go between the diff housing and pinion support. They adjust pinion depth. Yes backlash is set with the carrier but your pinion depth is set with the shims. If you didn't do this I'd hate to see your gear pattern /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, my wear pattern is ALLLLL messed up, put it back together the way it came apart.

If what you are calling a shim, then u guess i do have one on mine, just took it for a metal gasket, similar to the metal gaskets on the outer parts of the axles.

9. willyswanter

It's not just me calling it a shim, the manuf. does too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

When you buy a gear install kit it comes with about 20 of them in all different thicknesses. For example, when I took mine apart to regear it it had one .008" shim in it. When I put it back together I had to use a .015" shim to get the pattern centered.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm not saying it's just you, i'm just saying, i didn't realize thats what that was called to begin with, basically i learned something new today, imagine that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I just thought that was the gasket type spacer/gasket that was installed to help prevent leaks, as i said before, there are similar "shims/gaskets" on the outer parts of the axles where they bolt to the hubs.

It's all cool, going to have mine rebuilt before long anyways, have it done professionally, basically because i don't want to deal with it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif