Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are 14 bolters unbreakable???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I known there are 14-bolt FF and non-FF. Which is better? And are they unbreakable? And are they easy swappable with the 10-bolters or is there some welding needed? And can they take on 15" rims?

"K5 Grand GT in the Netherlands."

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

No axle is unbreakable. The strength is all relative.
    14B F/F is the stronger of the two 14B's because of it's 10.5" ring gear and full-floating design. They are supposed to be something like twice as stong as a 10-bolt. It is as strong as a Dana 70 and sucks up more than an extra inch of ground clearance compared to a 10-bolt. They came with three different spring pads widths through the 70's, 80's and 90's. They are still standard equipment on 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks today. All of them are 8-lug, so if you put one in place of a 10-Bolt, you will need to change wheels. You can fit 15" wheels on them, but if you've done an 8-lug conversion for the front, those 15" wheels will have to be steel, due to the thickness of Aluminum wheels.
    The 14B S/F started in the 80's as an alternative 8-lug axle for some 3/4 tons. In the late 80's, a six-lug version also became available. With a 9.5" ring gear, it is considered at least 50% stronger than a 10-bolt. The main disadvantage of this axle is that you will still loose a wheel if you snap an axle-shaft.
    Either one can be swapped in place of a 10 or 12-bolt with just an adapter U-joint and the proper U-bolts and U-bolt bracket. If the one you have chosed has the wrong sping pad separation, the pads will have to be cut off and rewelded. The pinion moves forward a little with either one, so on a non-lifted truck, the driveshaft would have to be shortened.
    In the states, these axles are easy to find. It would be interesting to know how many 3/4 ton and 1-ton Chevy's are in the junkyards over there.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Are those Suburbans, 3500's, dually's?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes 1 Tons are 3500's...

For some reason I think some say to stay away from the dually models, but i am not 100% sure...

I have a 14SF, and if my measurements are correct, it has the same spring pad measurments as the 12 bolt I have in mine now, but I am not sure about the shock mounts. I believe mine was out of a Suburban..

The 14SF has a smaller diameter axle than the 14FF and the axles in the 14SF are held in by c-clips still, like your 10 and 12 bolts. Most dont like the c-clips...

If you find a 14SF with 8 lugs, you can send the axles to Moser Engineering and they will fill and drill them to a 6 lug for around $50 per pair...

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I bet that is a US based company!!!

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Questions, so is there a 14 bolt SF that has six lugs and spring perches and shock mounts ready for swapping into a k5? If so what year donor should I look at? Will the e-brake work with my 1990 without mods?

7. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Good point. For my 1988 K5 with 10 bolters, what car do I need to find on a junk yard to get 14 bolters FF and/or dana60's (what ever the differce is) for it?

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 14-bolt FF is about as unbreakable as you can get. A guy in our club is running a built 454 and 42" Swampers, he's exploded two 208 transfer cases and even some Dana 60 front shafts (30-spline outers) but has never broken the 14-bolt FF.
    The 1-ton versions (both dually and non-dually) will require the spring pads to be cut off and moved as the 1-ton frames are narrower than either the 3/4 or 1/2 ton versions.
    The SF 14-bolt probably isn't nearly as strong as the FF version, but it is still much stronger than either the 10 or 12-bolts and would probably hold up pretty good in most applications.
    To the best of my knowledge, there are no 6-lug SF 14-bolts that will directly bolt into a K5. I believe the 6-lug versions were only available in the "new" style pickups with IFS and therefore would need the spring perches moved.

9. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I had a 99 caddy submarine under my dumptruck that had a 14bolt. Hit so hard it blew the tires off the rims, sent the truck airborne for 15 feet and landed on my neighbors porch. The springs were torn off the frame, the pumpkin was cracked around the tube, but still solid enough to drive it to get an estimate for insurance. Tough axle!

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There is no 14B axle that is a direct replacement for the 10/12 bolts.

The 14B SF with six lugs are from the 88-98 IFS trucks. They have wider spring pads than a K-5. The ones with spring pads the same as a K-5 are from 80's trucks, a lot of Subs, but are all 8-lug. I think that if you weren't able to get any welding done, you could get a S/F 14 from a 80's truck and stuff it with axle shafts and drums from an 88-98. I don't know if all of the seal and bearing surfaces are the same diameter, but it might be worth looking into.

All 14B F/F came from the factory 8-lug.

Emmett:
    $50 for a six-lug conversion on a 14B F/F? Does that include both the axleshafts and the drums? What does it cost to ship the parts to Moser and back? This is a very interesting option...

<font color=blue>"We have to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women..." Bill Clinton, 1996.</font color=blue>

11. Emmettology 101

$50 is for the 14SF axles to be filled and drilled.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

13. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.moserengineering.com>http://www.moserengineering.com</A>

[​IMG]

14. Emmettology 101

The $50per pair price is what I got from Moser when I called them last week.....

Mike [​IMG]