Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are 2 Cats Emission legal on a 88? WI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chrome Moly, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

Greetings smart dudes ! Just wanted to know if I can run 2 cat converters
    on my 88 and still pass thee ole snif test. 88 ,350 ,tbi ,tru duals. I'm Wisconsin! (Gettin ready for hunting.)

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Both my 87 and 90 K-5s pass the good old IM-240 dynos on the factory converter. Actually they both "Fast Pass" (only tested for 30 seconds or so). No reason an 88 with 2 converters won't! I'm just north of Milwaukee....

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"
    84 K-15
    96 9c1

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

What county are u guys in? Here in Walworth county we do'nt have emmisions test.... hehehehe :)

There should be no need to have 2 cats, unless that is how the factory worked it. I suspect you put a dual exhaust on and put a cat on each side, right? If they are new cats, shouldn't be any problem at all.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting my exhaust done today but when I took it in to get an estimate, he said that you cant do it on a 90. This is in Texas, so it'll be different. The only problem I see would be finding a place to put them on.

90K5

5. Dave

Dave Registered Member

I'm in Ozaukee County (next one north of Milwaukee County). I should just register all of my trucks up north :)

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"
    84 K-15
    96 9c1

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Whether or not you can legally run dual cats depends on what the factory installed. If dual cats were factory-installed, you're OK. If not, then technically you cannot LEGALLY run dual cats. Of course, if you're in a no-emissions-test area (lucky b@st@rds!), or if your buddy is the inspector, then have fun!
    BTW, even if your setup is far cleaner than what the factory installed, it can still be emissions-illegal (no one ever accused Uncle Sam of being sensible...)

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

As far as illigality, you cannot modify anything emmisions related, including the PCV valve and other misc. If there isn't any visual inspection, you will get away with the dual cats. WI is not known to be hard-nosed, and I'm not sure if we've got a visual inspections.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Dave

Dave Registered Member

They never do a visual check unless you go for a waiver. They never once (out of the 7 tests one year :P ) put a mirror under my 87 Buick Grand National to see if it had a converter. It did end up passing (he he) in the end.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5 87 K-5, 84 K-15, 96 9c1 - Please don't slow down in front of me!