Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are 3/4 ton calipers a direct swap?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Nov 1, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    my 71 blazer has the stock power brakes(front disk,rear drum)Looking to upgrade.Are 3/4 ton front calipers a direct "bolt on" to the 1/2 ton caliper mounts.Also looking into the TSM rear disk system using Eldorado calipers or if I can swing it,a drive shaft mounted e-brake.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton calipers are exactly the same as 1/2 to calipers (depending on year the banjo fitting may be different). They are not an upgrade by themselves. The only reason the 3/4 ton brakes is an upgrade is because they have larger rotors (which require 3/4 ton caliper mounting plates).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Bob
    I believe that you may find that 3/4 ton calipers, with a larger piston, and therefore generating more clamping force, will bolt on with a tight wheel-to-caliper clearance up front. A grinder may take care of that. I haven't tried it on my 71/72, but for my 91 Sub with 10 bolt front axle, the 3/4 ton calipers are bigger and better...

I havet eh body off the Jimmy now, and some spare calipers, so if you need, I can test fit the 3/4 ton calipers pretty easily for you, using "later model" GM 15x8 rally wheels.

To get really good brakes, consider the following as well:
    * Carbon-Kevlar pads (Praise Dyno Brake in Royse City TX - www.praisedynobrake.com) - Talk to John...
    * They also sell cryo-treated rotors and drums, but try the pads first - they have a MUCH higher coefficient of friction than metallic or organic pads...
    * Hydroboost in place of the pitiful vacuum boost which is stock - this implies change of PS pump, MC, booster and hoses...

I'm a brake nut, so if you want to discuss this further, send me a mail.

Take care
    JB

PS - are you going to dun CanBack pronto to see where their Gen1 project is?

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Jungleboy,I may take you up on your advice,thanks.
    Can-Bac is kind-of pi$$ing me off.No answers to my questions and when I asked if I could come take a look at the new top they said it prob. wasn't worth my time to come from Santa Barbara to somewhere in North-East L.A....WTF?Do they want to sell thier new top or what!It's only like 2,maybe 2.5 hr's away from me.I should just show up one week.What the hell...I'll go next week,with my digital camera in hand.Wish me luck,hope they'll let me in the door!

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Ditto JungleBoy's suggestion of the Praise Dyno carbon/kevlar pads or try Performance Friction's carbon/metallic pads. Either offers better fade resistance.

A small correction, though... Bigger pistons (and therefore more volume, additional pistons create the same effect if volume is increased) in the caliper gives the driver more leverage over the braking system, not necessarily more power. If the master has sufficient volume for the larger caliper volume (not always feasible, but sometimes masters have more stroke than is necessary) you will also get more power.

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Really... I wuld guess there is a demand for a high quality product, if the CanBack guys can figure out how to do it...

Re Steve's comments, I would also consider a later model 3/4 to 1 to BMC (the cast iron one), and larger rear cylinders, also 3/4 to 1 ton stuff - all things I have done to the Sub.