Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are 36" Goodyear Wrangler RT tires any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RampageFSJ, Aug 11, 2006.

1. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who is looking at lifting his truck and he is in need of some 35"-ish tires. We came across a deal for a set of 36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT tires, the kind that they use on military Hummers. I was wondering how they did in most terrains, mud, sand, mild rocks, and especially street. This is his daily driver so they will see quite a few road miles. These tires seem to be cheap, so replacement is no problem if they wear fast, but I was wanting to know how loud they may be, what kind of mileage can be expected, or any other bits of info. that may be important. He will also be driving it to college, so I also would like to know if they are safe at highway speeds? The specs are, 85 Blazer, 350, 700R4, 208, open 10 bolt, open 14 bolt, 4" lift. Any help is greatly appreciated[​IMG] .

Here's the tire that I'm talking about.
    http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=952717

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Well I have them mounted on my cucv, but its not running as of now so I couldnt quite tell you. I have been told that they are pretty decent tires, not the best by any standards compared to some of the bigger name tires, but still adequate. I have also been told that if you trim out the middle ring of tread that runs all the way around the tire, then it will allow the tire to dig more and you can get more traction. But we'll see whenever I get my truck up and going.

Regards,
    Remington

3. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I run these tires on my d.d. and I like them, BUT, they are loud on the road and they get flat spots on them when they sit for a while and being 16.5s, they don't air down well. However, they bite really well off road, and once they warm up they ride OK. The best part is they can be had brand new for about $100 each shipped to your house! I guess it just depends on what you want.

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think they are a desent tire as well, if you look around and get lucky like i did you can get great deals on them. i got 5 sets for 500. i will see if i can find the name of that guy.