Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are 71 72 cutlass cool ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 7, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a girl i know has a 71 or 72 cutlass she wants to sell i think she said it needs brake and/or exhaust work,
    you dont see any cars this old around here i think its the only one ive ever run across to date, i could get it for cheap and she said it runs and im selling the 92 cutlass soon back to the neighbors since ill have the engine in it next week, im thinking about maybe getting the cutlass maybe, i dont know why, just to get it i guess since its so uncommon/rare around here, and since im selling the 92 cutlass back tot he neighbors as soon as i am finshed with the engine swap in in it for them hopefully by end of the week

what do you think ?

also if anyone nows of any internet sites for these cutlasses then pelase lemme know i am having hard time finding any, hmm

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: are 68-72 cutlass cool ?

My sister had a 68 442 clone...same body and stuff. Lot's of Cutlass's got the 455 among other things. They're kind of big by today's standards but they are a cool car IMHO.

Oh yeah, my sis smoked a 71 Capri, a Ford pick-up and finally an oak tree with hers...all in a matter of seconds.

Rene

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it's a 2 door, then it's worth getting to build a hot rod, but if it's a 4 door, pass.

4. tRustyK5

Good point Paul...

Rene

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

lots of those in az, as paul said, 2 door all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how do i identify year by grille ?

thanks

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You can doo eeeeeeyyyytttt!!!! I like those

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

There's one on the other side of my block that appears to be daily driven. Little rusty, but for that age pretty good.

I like the body style, but I like just about everything from '62-'69.

I know a guy that will give you his left nut for a '69 Cutlass and he already has 3!!! ('69 Cutlasses, not 3 left nuts!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Personally I'd buy it whether it's a 2-door or a 4-door. Lots of the parts will be worth cash on a 4-door and I'd drive the 4-door for a winter beater.

Paul 'X' [​IMG]

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i actually want a 76-78 nova, i like them and have had a 77, i miss it, it was a good lil car i wanted to put in a 350 and an 8.5" rear and such, but i got stupid and sold it to local dealer and i want another, i might get this cutlass and put it up for trade for such a nova even though arent any left around here and havent for a logn time now, but only bad thing about novas is that they are leaf spring rear supsension /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hmm
    dunno
    ill know more later in the week

thanks

10. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    i actually want a 76-78 nova

[/ QUOTE ]

Why??? They were the ugly smog years and had no style at all...and I mean a lot less than the standard lack of style Nova's were famous for.

74 was about the last decent year, and 68 and 69 were my favorite years. I certainly wouldn't trade a 68-72 Cutlass for a 77 Nova.

On the year ID, I used to be able to tell the different years from the front or rear at a glance...but now that you don't see them very often anymore I've forgotten most of the little details that changed. IIRC the 71 and 72 had almost identical grilles, but the turn signals were different shapes. The differences were minor anyways.

Rene

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dont know what cars you get to see where you live, but there are zero novas any year left here, i havent sene one for super long time, the 76-78 look great painted bright red or blue or black or silver and 76 were still SS available, they look sharp when are painted, you must not have seen too many pics of nice ones, they look better than the bulky look of the olds and pontiacs and such and im sure are lighter too, its just the leaf springs i dont like.

im still unsure of what year this one cutlass suprems is, i went and looked at it a bit ago and its got 70 dated on taillight lenses and they are pure red with no white lines on them, so its 71 or 72, but i think 72 have white liens on the taillight lenses and 71 dont.

right ?

the car is compelte and actually is damn clean for central IL, it only has a rust through area on driver side lower front part of quarterpanel about 6" above rocker, it could be a clean car with a patch there and alot of sanding and priming. she said the tranny linkage is messed up it wont crank over unless is in like drive.,

im most likely going to get the car and either yank the olds drivetrain out and store the car and wait to find a chevy 35/th350 combo to install in it-
    or trade it off for a pickup or something-
    or sell it straight out.
    i can get this car for too good of a deal to pass up for how old it is and what it is. you dont see cars this old around here so i have a hard time identifying year and such, it has CS bades up high on rear pillar and on door panels, its a coupe brown and tan, and i looked under rear and it has stock 8.5" rear.
    i wonder what ratios were common in these. hopefully not 2.73 or 3.08 junk

so hmm....

dunno,

76-up nova pics, they can look mean too, i think they look meaner than most of the 68-72, and the 73-74 are just plain fugly thanks to the huge bumpers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i had a 77 identical to this one in every way except mine had factory blue 14" rallies:
    [​IMG]

79 omega:

[​IMG]

77 omega:

[​IMG]

76 ventura:

[​IMG]

thanks

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was going to say check the tail light. Back then they usely printed the year on the tail light. BTW, the mid/late 70's Nova's were low compression, so not much power. All cars where becouse of the insurence companys pressure on DC, who put pressure on the auto makers to build weeniemobiles, and the gas crunch of the eara.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they say that after 72 they went downhill bad, you can put whatever drivetrain into whatever year car you want, i like how the 75-79 look more than any others also the 67-69 maro and the chevelles are badass looking too. at least 74 and older you can have custom duals put on without shop being worried and refusing to do it

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    they say that after 72 they went downhill bad, you can put whatever drivetrain into whatever year car you want, i like how the 75-79 look more than any others also the 67-69 maro and the chevelles are badass looking too. at least 74 and older you can have custom duals put on without shop being worried and refusing to do it

[/ QUOTE ] I hear ya. I like the big body Monte Carlo's (73 to 77) and alot of people don't. But yeah, you can put whatever drive train in that you like. One problem I remember with the mid/late 70's Nova's is the rear shocks tended to come up through the trunk.

15. tRustyK5

When I was frsh out of high school (83) you could find hundreds of those Nova's, all for cheap and every one was a roach. Yeah 74 had the big battleship bumpers but was still a better year IMO.

You can polish a turd all you want...but when you're done all it is is a shiny turd. Frankly from 74-mid 90's there wasn't much domestic iron worth buying, and the closer to 74 the worse it was...

For that boxy sedan type of look I much prefer the 67-72 Darts.

I had a 72 almost exactly like this one...loved the front end

[​IMG]

Here is a nice '70

[​IMG]

Rene

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why??? They were the ugly smog years and had no style at all...and I mean a lot less than the standard lack of style Nova's were famous for.

74 was about the last decent year, and 68 and 69 were my favorite years. I certainly wouldn't trade a 68-72 Cutlass for a 77 Nova.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly. I'm a BIG fan of 68-72 Novas, but if I had to choose between a 71-72 Cutlass and a 76-78 Nova, I'd grab the Cutlass in a heartbeat and never look back. Back in high school My buddy had a 76' Nova that was fast as hell, I'm talkin 10 second car, but damn that thing was ugly. I had him beat on looks with a 72', but it was a struggle to get in the low 13's.
    Either way beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can respect anyone for love'n their hotrod, no matter what make, model, or year.

"Are 68-72 cutlass cool?"... YES.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rene,

I personally think that those Dodge's are the nastiest looking cars that Detroit ever produced. I'd take EITHER GM car listed over those raggedy looking hunks of crap any day.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and I thikn all of those so called "cars" Chrysler put out are straight nasty.

18. tRustyK5

Ya see, that is just a generalization Tim. You don't like Chrysler so any Chrysler is nasty in your books. I think the Darts had decent lines...they sure were easy to make quick. I don't really care for the Dusters or the Challengers. Some Cuda's were OK, but most were borderline ugly.

I know I had way too much fun with mine...I bought the 72 first, then sold it and immediately wanted another one. I found a 68 Dart GT a few months later with a seized slant 6 for $100. It had a good body and fair interior so I snagged it. Then went out and found a 74 with a healthy 318 and not much more going for it. The 318 went into the 68...

The 318 isn't a spectactular motor, but with a 4 barrel, dual point distributor and some free flowing exhaust in a light car it was a fun cruiser.

One fine day I'll buy a 68-72 Dart and have some more fun...for now my Jimmy keeps me pretty broke /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Actually...no its really not that I don't like Chrysler. I am not really brand loyal..hell I drive a Ford every day.

I just don't care for the lines of any of their cars. Too boxy and the grille/tail lights and such don't impress me near as much as their chevy counterparts. I even like old Mustangs...but those Dodges have never grown on me...not at any car show I've ever been to.

20. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rene,

I personally think that those Dodge's are the nastiest looking cars that Detroit ever produced. I'd take EITHER GM car listed over those raggedy looking hunks of crap any day.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and I thikn all of those so called "cars" Chrysler put out are straight nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugliest cars ever:

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif AMC Gremlin
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Ford Granada /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I find these to be the equivelant of failed Genetic Experimentation. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just IMHO.

Paul 'X' [​IMG]