Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are 89's better than 84's and why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Oct 20, 2002.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

are 89\'s better than 84\'s and why?

I THINK THE 73 DEAL IS CRUMBLING. HAVE AN 89 IN SIGHTS, MAYBE A BETTER PLATFORM THAN THE 84 FROM WHICH TO WORK.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: are 89\'s better than 84\'s and why?

The whole 89 vehicle will be the same as the 84, except for the 350 (or 305?)
    With the 89 year, you'll get the TBI 350 (throttle body injection). It's good in that it provides more consistent off-road performance, but also on the 89's is all that emissions and computer poop. It will limit how much you can do to your engine in the future (like in catalogs for new heads, rebuild kits, valve covers, intake manifolds, etc. they say only until the year '85.) Personally, I'd like to have a 350 that was made before '85 so that I could put the performance parts on that are easy to find/cheaper.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If I had a choice between an 84 an 89, I'd go for the 89 in a heartbeat. Fuel injection would be the #1 reason. If you've ever dealt with carb gremlins you'll understand why.

The main thing I would consider would be the condition of the body. Mechanical work is generally a lot cheaper than bodywork. Trust me, I know......... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

also i think by 1987 they worked the bugs out of the 700-R4 and also what others have mentioned TBI /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif = nice and yes i have dealt with the Carb GREMLIN!!! grrrr!!! to the point where i was telling my bud to contemplate the TBI hehehehe

oh well hope this helps

Ck1500 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I've had two 83 Blazers and now I currently have 2, 89 Blazers. I prefer the newer styling, the TBI and the fact that the parts are newer.. I'm having extreme luck with the new Black and grey 89 I just bought..
    So.. I'd take the newer over older.. for a daily driver.. and I do love having the fuel injection... you can tweak the TBI engines to get them more performance and better gas mileage.
    And the 89 w/ TBI won't sputter if you take the vehicle off road and put it at extreme angles. My old 83 loved to stall on me.

6. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

whats with computer stuff, how to work with it.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

go for the '89. we bought our 89 3/4 4x4 suburban in 1994 and haven't had ANY computer problems at all, i love my truck, and the 89s look better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

was going to get a 73,but we couldn't get athe price i wanted it for. saw the 89 and decided to check it out. turns out the guy wants only 1000. body good engine sounded ok going to take it for a drive. will not have to spend to getr streetable. so can keep the 84 aLSO /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

plus the 89 has that beatiful, much sought after, front clip =)

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Not that it is much different than the 208 that came with the '84, but the '89 has a NP241. Also the stock shackles are 1/2'' longer than the ones on the '84. The fuel injection is the biggest difference though and it is a very big difference in both offroad performance and fuel economy. I didn't truly appreciate my '87's fuel injection until Blazer bash when I watched so many carbed vehicles sputter out and mine would not be affected by the steepness of the terrain /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. And did I mention that I get 18.4 MPG with 7'' lift, 4.56's and 35''s? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif