Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are all 10bolts Locking diffs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ditchdigger, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

Got stuck in 2wheel then I heard a thunk and all of a sudden pulled out and pretty sure the other tire kicked in
    Is this normal, and be able to hear it in the truck with the door open and I'm wandering if this was standard and if their known for problems!

If it ain't Intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

2. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

what year is your k5? Im just wondering what years they came with locking or posi?

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

3. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

WELL SOME DID COME WITH THEM, MOSTLY 3.42 GEAR RATIO, IT WAS AN OPTION THE REASON 3.42 BECAUSE THAT WAS THE DIESEL GEAR, AND MILLITARY WANTED THE LOCKERS SO THEY JUST BUILT THEM LIKE THAT. THE LOCKER IS CALLED AN EATON LOCKER. I HAVE SEEN THEM IN '85-91 K5'S. THEY ARE STRONGER THAN A OPEN DIFF IN MY EXPERIENCES, YET STILL WEAK. I JUST BLEW ONE, AND ONE PREVIOUS TO THAT. I ONLY RUN 33" TIRES ON THIS TRUCK. THIS LAST REAR STARTED CLUNKING FORWARD TO REVERSE, TAKING OFF ETC. WHEN I GOT STUCK IT WOULD CLUNK AND THEN KICK IN. THE CLUNK COULD BE A BAD SOUND, MIGHT WANT TO CHECK IT. IN MY PAST EXPERIENCES THIS LOCKERS DON'T MAKE MUCH NOISE EXCEPT WHEN STOPPING THAY MAKE A SLIGHT CLUNK.. THATS ALL I KNOW, HOPE IT HELPS.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

4. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Not sure when the Gov-Locs first became an option but you can tell if yours had one by a the little options package list in your glove box, if you still have it.

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The factory limited slip diff (called the "Gov-Lock") was an option on just about any year Blazer, and I don't think it mattered what gear ratio either as the same one will fit any of the stock ratios.
    I also have never heard of the 3.42 gear being the "diesel ratio" as I thought the military Blazers came with the 3.08 ratio and Gov-Lock. My own '90 K5 with the diesel came stock with 3.73 gears and the Gov-Lock.

When it comes to GM vehicles, you have to take it on a vehicle to vehicle basis to know for sure what you have as there seems to be no real pattern in terms of years or other options that are reliable to go by.

But anyway, to answer the original post, the situation you described does sound like you have the factory Gov-Lock.

6. Ditchdigger

Its an 84, and I don't know it sure seems loud to me but, maybe its possibly just low on gear oil because I haven't
    checked it, Do you know what type of oil is preffered because right now I'm puttin money in the engine and can't
    afford diff rebuild
    One more thing I forgot to add was, when I stop at a stop sign for example and right when I take off I hear a (c klunk
    c klunk) then it goes away
    I wander if I should even drive it or can I drive it until it blows out?
    oh yeah, I'm pretty sure its 3.43s

7. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I would put 80w 90 gear oil in my rear with 3:42's and the gov lock, I use castrol. I seems to work pretty good. Just to let you know that gear oil really smells, dont let spill in truck, the smell does not go away or dont get it on yourself or in your hair, I heard a story about this guy my dad knows that couldnt get it out for 3 weeks.

JD

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

My k5 makes the same clunk noise on take off. But the back of the truck drops a little when it makes the clunk, which makes me think that it (mine atleast) is not the gears, but some suspention type of problem. Dose yours drop like that?

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

9. Ditchdigger

Mine doesn't drop at all
    You could have bad bearings, so your axle would be bouncing in the shaft, not sure though how much your
    rear end drops
    does it do it right when you hear the klunk
    I'm also thinking bad U-joint
    I myself would like to strap someone under the rear end and have them find it! haha
    sound like were in similar situations
    anything else your is doing!
    Let me know if you find anything! and likewise!

10. Ditchdigger

how many quarts of 80w 90 gear oil does the diff hold?