Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARE ALL 4x4 TH350's the same length ? Read to the bottom.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColAdo82K5, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

ARE ALL 4x4 TH350\'s the same length ? Read to the bottom.

Hey,
    Just got the 350 back together not to long ago and I'm happy with added power, but I fear that that something in my tranny (TH350) didn't like it.
    I went out to drive it and when ever the truck is sitting still but with the tranny in drive or reverse, there is a continous noise like sandpaper rubbing it self. As you give the truck a little bit a of gas, it sounds like the fins in the convertor are slipping alot. Once you get the RPMS up to about 1900 or 2000, the noise and the slipping stops and the truck drives like normal. I know the fluid level is good and the filter and fluid should be ok. To me it sounds like something in the convertor is wack...
    Help me out here guys...
    Blake

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: IS MY TORQUE CONVERTER BUSTED ? HELP

The converter is mechanical. If it fails, you'll know it. Only thing that can go wrong (essentially) is a fin comes off, some teeth strip, or the thrust washer or bearing fails.

If your converter truly fails, your auto tranny vehicle will not move AT ALL. (such as if the splines strip) However, if the thrust washer or bushing fails, typically the sound goes away when put in gear, but is present when in neutral/park.

There are quite a few things turning in an auto transmission even when it is sitting still, so there are a LOT of variables. Could very well be the pump is galling the housing, and you are getting a lot of pressure "loss" around the pump teeth.

3. ColAdo82K5

Well,
    I gave a quick call to the transmission shop and they said not to look at the convertor either...so it looks like I will have to swap in a new one or get this one rebuilt.
    Any other thoughts ?
    Blake

4. dyeager535

Not many. If it's making noise, it needs to be pulled apart. TH350 isn't a bad tranny to try a rebuild on yourself though.

5. ColAdo82K5

I imagine that the trust washers and bearing can't be changed out or checked unless the valve body is taken out. and the main shafts are taken out. Correct ?
    I've helped with a shift kit on one of these before, but never rebuilt a tranny on my own. I'd rather not rebuild that one and put it in because I'm on a time limit. Hopefully I can get one locally and slide that in. (Maybe rebuild the original one for something else)
    Thanks,
    Blake

6. ColAdo82K5

Hey,
    I'm in the middle of finding the tranny jack and a tranmission to go in the truck.
    Are all th350's the same spline/length ? The changing part all takes place in the adaptor, right ? Say, a th350 that is hooked up to a 203 right now with work with my 208, because I'm using the 350-208 adaptor.
    Blake

7. dyeager535

Thrust washer/bushing I'm talking about was the torque converter. But anywhere else in the tranny they exist, yes it has to come apart.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All TH 350s are the same spline, but no, they're not all the same length. I'm not sure how many variants of 4wd units there happen to be though.

9. ColAdo82K5

Why do you say there are variants ? Don't the adaptors make up any length differences ?
    Blake

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only difference in length is the output shaft, they are all the same spline though. the 203 is the shortest shaft, the 205 is the next shortest and the 208 is the longest. you will need to have the correct shaft put in when you have it rebuilt. best thing to do is have your tranny rebuilt or find a th350 with a 208 and rebuild that.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

203 and 205 use the same output shaft in a TH350.

12. ColAdo82K5

So, we have a 203/205 version th350 and a 208 version th350.
    Thanks guys.
    I'm having a friendly shop here take my parts and my tranny to rebuild for $100 cash. I work at Autozone, so I'm supplying the rebuild kit and they are getting me a new convertor for $55.
    Blake

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i though they were a little different, but i never seen them sitting side by side /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif