Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are aluminum diff cover all show or???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Sep 25, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does an aluminum diff cover really help with heat? I can not decside to get the finned aluminum covers or to get some larger steel ones. I really mostly play in the mud and driveon the road. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds just like a more vulnerable, weaker part that'd be easier to break. Sure, it might release some heat, but who cares?

If you want to do something really nice for your diff, use synthetic fluid.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Generally aluminum dissipates heat faster = good, and *MOST* aluminum diff covers hold extra fluid compared to stock = good.

Potential drawbacks: Aluminum covers are generally thicker (especially cast aluminum) which is more potential for interference/clearance issues (depends on what you do, mud not a problem...rocks maybe a problem). Cost $$$

For a mud truck or tow vehicle aluminum is great, for a rock crawler or abuse rig, I would go with a heavy duty plated steel cover for protection/strength.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think the best compromise would be to get one of those cheap thin aluminum covers and then just get one of those hella beefy rock-ring type protectors for it... then it would disipate heat the fastest and be tough enuff for rox.

j

5. RingMaster4x4

If I went HEAVY duty I am thinking about this diff cover.
    [​IMG]

On ebay

or this one if I when aluminum
    [​IMG]

On Ebay

What do ya'll think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If it's for the front be sure it will fit without interferrng with the tie rod. Most companies that produce the finned aluminum covers offer 2, front or rear (same theory would apply to the custom cover).

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have these 2 covers sitting on my desk as paper weight:
    [​IMG]

These are the ORU covers to fit the D60 front and 14FF. Both are heavy but not like the custom made covers others offer.

4WOR did a dif cover test a few months ago and the only thing the aluminum covers did not pass on the testing was the crushing test because they used a front end loader and bucket to crush it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The front cover is not as deep as the standard D60 rear covers which are about as deep as the 14FF cover shown in my pic. The front coever is shallower to allow tie rod movement and clearance.

I don't do rocks because we don't have any around here. So these covers will last and hold up just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. RingMaster4x4

Why are you not using the covers? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just haven't put them on yet. It's not a high priority to get them on either as I need to do other important stuff to the truck before trying to make it look good. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

About those rock rings, a recall Spickler (hallowed be thy name) saying he wanted to go with the huge cover Crane makes and Rockstomper sells beacuse he really wasn't liking the aluminum cover/rock ring cage thinger combo ad far as cathing on things

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use the ORU rear D60 cover. So far so good. I like the extra capacity and heat disapation. I drive my K5 to the trail head. Usually 2-4hrs on the Hwy. I took my K5 from Cali to Utah and back too. I do rocks but I am not a rock whore like some fellas around here. My cover has taken some hits and so far it just scrapes it. Some of the fins at the bottom are 'smooth' now. Perrty tuff cover but I would hate to have it take a dead center hard SMAK... may crack instead of bend? I thought about making a 'Rock Ring' for it....
    Good Luck

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

They are show. If you have ever looked at a Finned aluminum cover after its been drug through the rocks, you will know what I'm talking about.

Try www.mo-offroad.com for some beefy diff covers. Anyone who was at Midwest Spring K5 Thing 2003 in Hot Springs knows how tough they are. Remember Earl driving Laynes truck?... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Broke a huge boulder in two!

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is my opinion that a R/P will benefit from an aluminimum cover ( heat disapation ) when lower gears are used at constant highway speeds under load . Ex: Super Duty F-450 Dana 80's come with a factory aluminium cover because they come with 4.88's /5.38's and there intended useage.
    I would use a heavy duty steel diff cover in the rocks - even if real deep gears are being used , the R/P does not turn fast enough to benefit from the heat being dissapated(sp) by a aluminium cover .
    I have a finned aluminium cover on my pull truck that see's highway speeds, under load , and very little off-road - but my off-road truck has steel covers on it for protection .
    This is just my opinion - Tom

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

With that said. The MOO covers also offer higher capacity which means cooler running operation. Probably cooler than the Aluminum cover.

K5BLT4FUN drove his from Missouri to Moab and back without problems. I would say if you have a problem with the rearend heating up, you should look elsewhere for a problem rather than trying to cool them down.

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id of bought a rear aluminum one if it wasnt so dern expensive, so i settled for the chrome, and 84 k10 supplied me with a front 10 bolt one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i like the looks of shiny things especially on a sunny day. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, id go with the aluminum. wont rust too, and chrome surface rusts, and its a PITA to shine up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the minuses of aluminum are easily eliminated with some sort of rockring diff guard... and the cooling benefits remain...

j

17. RingMaster4x4

Does anyone make a rock guard that will fit on the axle with aluminum covers? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks for the info guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone make a rock guard that will fit on the axle with aluminum covers? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks for the info guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a chrome rock ring for the Molten Image diff covers???

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yeah Baby!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. RingMaster4x4

Bling Bling /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Bling Bling /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just trying to come up with the single most expensive diff cover combination I can think of...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

"Bling is a trancendent state-of-being in which all forms of matter are visualized in brilliant chrome...."