Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are auto locking hubs any good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just as the title says. Your experiences. These would be for a D60 and I'm gona beat the crap out of it. Are they any stronger or weaker than a regular locking hub. Drive flanges are not an option.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think they are. Both of the 10 bolts that have been under my truck have had them and didn't work right. I replaced both sets with Warn standard lock outs. Never seen autos on a 60 though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. cybrfire

My DD has them but I don't offroad that one. Don't know about durability. Maybe somebody else has tried them.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my buddy has them on his and they suck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. cybrfire

that is what I was afraid I would here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hell yes they are good...... If you clean them up, the outside cover thay says 4X4 makes a pretty cool paper weight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

my overall experiences with auto hubs has been mixed-

Sometimes, they have been cool, like, it starts snowing, hard, you switch to 4x4, and keep going. When you need to switch out, you just stop, and put it into 2x4.

However, I've been stuck in a k5, with auto hubs before, cause the uato hubs wouldnt engage. Looked f'in hilarious on the side of the road with a k5 stuck in 3" of snow cause the stinkin 4wd wouldnt engage.

You give up some of the convenience, but you add tons of durability. I've also heard that sometimes the auto hubs dont work in reverse. Would be a terrible effect offroad.

8. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

There junk,use as paper weight thats a good idea.get good set of locking hubs and should never have problem. my friend likes auto,fulltime,thats becaus hes too lazy to get out and lockem. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If this tells you anything, according to the parts manual, GM tried auto hubs in the '85 1 tons, and from '86-88 they were no longer available, only manual hubs.

10. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Had them on my 84 blazer and blew them out twice in a month stopped locking, got me stuck in a muddy rut on the side of the road /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif got me a set of warn premiums and never looked back.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .... I've also heard that sometimes the auto hubs dont work in reverse. Would be a terrible effect offroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.
    They unlock if you go reverse with the T case in 2wd only.
    If you have it in 4wd they do not unlock.

I don't like the auto hubs anyway because they are weak and problematic, I would keep them on a DD but not on a trail machine, even if it's driven to the trails and used daily.
    I would only keep them on a stock vehicle that will not see anything more than a dirt road to a campsite.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When you expect snow, just lock your manual hubs before you go and leave the T-case in 2HI. Then you can pull the shifter between 2HI and 4HI as many times as you want while still moving. You don't even have to back up to unlock the hubs. This doesn't really put too much wear on the front end, unless you do it all the time. That's how some new trucks are set up.

My auto hubs are perfect and sometimes I think about swapping them back in for general winter driving, but since going to manuals, I really haven't missed the autos.

13. Ben

Ben Registered Member

For me , yes. I have had my blazer for 16 years and it has auto hubs. Still use them and just used them over this last weekend 4 wheeling. Never had a problem. I use the 4 wheel drive an average of 20 times a month; driving on sand with the bed full of SCUBA tanks (a lot of serious weight carrying 32 tanks while driving on the beach!) use it in the bush and rock crawling up river beds. Again, never had a problem. I do preventive maintenance every year; R/R the hubs, grease them up and install new seals. Just lucky I guess using mine. I've shifted back and forth from 4 H to 4 L with no problems. Once I hit pavement, I put it back in 2, back up about 30 feet and drive off.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For me , yes. I have had my blazer for 16 years and it has auto hubs. Still use them and just used them over this last weekend 4 wheeling. Never had a problem. I use the 4 wheel drive an average of 20 times a month; driving on sand with the bed full of SCUBA tanks (a lot of serious weight carrying 32 tanks while driving on the beach!) use it in the bush and rock crawling up river beds. Again, never had a problem. I do preventive maintenance every year; R/R the hubs, grease them up and install new seals. Just lucky I guess using mine. I've shifted back and forth from 4 H to 4 L with no problems. Once I hit pavement, I put it back in 2, back up about 30 feet and drive off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you have stock size tires?

Well in my post I said dirt, sand is even easier on the axles, so yes they should be fine.
    That is what these hubs were designed for, mild use, not what we subject them to in the rock crawling.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Been running 33's for years and years and now running 35's.

17. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I got a call to go pull my buddies out of the sand and my autos wouldnt engage. Pretty emberassing being pulled out by a s10 when you were brought out to save ppl. So when I got home I ordered some milemarker locking hubs. 53$ at this website I found.

Nick

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine failed on a boat ramp while I was trying to pull a 10,000 lb boat out of the water. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This was when I worked at the marina and it was a customer's boat. Hitched up to it, backed trailer in, buddy pulled boat up onto trailier. I put it in four low, step on the gas and start spinning both back tires. Those were the days when I had 2.73 gears and I had a gov loc that worked so it was pretty funny. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Spun the back tires for like 10 seconds and then it slammed into 4wd and ripped that boat out of the water.

I went home from work and ordered Warn Premiums. I have never looked back. I honestly wanted to keep my auto hubs because they're perfect for lazy asses like me. But getting stuck in your own yard or on the boat ramp is just nonsense....NEVER again.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Got done R&R'ing mine (never had a problem, just wanted to make sure they were in top shape), went out after R&R on them, tested, worked fine, took them up to the mountains for hunting, first place I needed them they wouldn't engage. Typical ratcheting noise from the front axle, spun the rear tires at about 2000RPM before the hubs locked in. 31's with a 305.

Lucky I didn't break anything, but that was the last time I EVER trusted auto hubs. Manual hubs have NEVER let me down, even 25 year old factory ones.

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

My old K30 had them stock, they failed under normal use (stock tires / occasional 4x4).