Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are body lifts really that bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Aug 2, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Body lifts get bashed pretty often on this forum, but I've seen plenty of Top Truck contenders running them. I bought a 3 incher a couple of years ago, but I haven't got around to putting it in yet, and now I'm having doubts.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

One thing that sucks with a body lift is that it looks kinda bad by the rear bumper. There is a lot of space between the bumper and the body and it kinda looks funny. But one thing that I like is that it is easy for me to clean between the body and the frame in the winter time to get all the salt out from under there.

<font color=red>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>'90 Jimmy</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://geocities.com/moose_53_99>geocities.com/moose_53_99</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Body lifts within reason are fine, but they offer no performance advantages, other than the ability to clear taller tires. Stock suspensions aren't designed with any form of articulation or travel in mind, and suspension lifts are designed to remedy that.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, as long as it's within about 1-3" then they're alright, it's just the 6"+ body lifts that get bashed the most

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

5. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

No offense, but a body lift does have atleast one performance advantage, it leaves the weight of the entire driveline down lower, less chance of a rollover. Personally, I don't care much for body lifts, cutting the fenders is a better way to go to get the extra clearence you need. Second, in general, a stock suspension will have more travel, as far as leaf springs go anyway's. A lift spring is normally stiffer. Why do you think a rear shackle flip is so popular?

Keep it simple!

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Very true about the center of gravity - but stock suspensions (leaf) only have an inch or two of usable travel before they are on the bumpstops. A well designed lift can get 12"-14" overall travel with no problem.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

When I was still running stock springs upfront they flexed pretty good. It is true that they were limited by the amount the could go up before they hit the bumpstops, but they allowed the axle to drop alot. Just as good, if not better than the average lift spring. Sure you can spend an endless amount of cash and get endless amount of travel, but it is hard to beat a stock flat spring for the money!

Keep it simple!

8. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I just figured if I used the body lift then I wouldn't have to go over a 4 inch suspension lift for better ride and flex. Thanks for all the input.

Karl
    87 3/4 ton

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'd also like to add that a body lift will get you a little more clearance without worrying about modifying your driveshafts or messing with your pinion angles. I'd rather just break out the Sawsall... well I already did.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

A flater spring will flex more than an extremly arched spring.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hey i have stock suspension and i got a 704 on a 23degree rti ramp with 33in tires so stock springs do flex fairly well

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

12. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

That's what I got is a 4" suspension and a 3" body lift. I like it but will still trim the fenders for more clearance. As for bumpers and chassis gaps, bumpers that I'll make will compensate for that and it's great for cleaning underneath, especially the top of the gas tank.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    First of all, I have a 4" body lift and a 4" suspension lift.
    I don't see a problem with it except that if you raise the body and have a stock fan shroud it throws off the center of the fan and streches some cables slightly. As for the fan, the person that had the truck before me had gone to all electric and I didn't like relying on those so I reinstalled the stock fan, built spacers for between the shroud pieces to seperate them and moved the elec. to the front of the radiator. Now I have a back up system. Even with the 4- body, 4-sup., and cut wells I still need somemore room for my 38.5". Without the 4" body I would really have to butcher the fenders. The clearence underneath is nice though. Easy cleaning and I was even thinking of mounting some air tanks under it or possibly my spare tire on a lift cable. I say go for it if you want bigger tires etc.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I've heard great thing's about ORD's one inch body lift.. i was thinking of going that route.. since my 35's and 4 inch lift are rubbing up front..
    I have already trimmed my fender's..but now want to go taller..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm runnig 3"bodylift and haven't had any issues with it at all. Cleaning is way eaisier. My 33" still rubbed(not any more) the front of the rear wheel well. Now that I am going to 35"SSRs I am in the process of triming the corners and tossing the rockers in favor of some 3x3 square stock.
    If done right a body lift is no problem what so ever, welll provided you don't have rust issues where the body mounts are located.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You'll have to excuse me - I'm thinking more in the terms of travel than flex. I like my axles to have plenty of room to move, and soak up bumps, rather than jar my teeth out when I'm running on the myriad of desert roads around here, or even worse, some of the state highways.

Generic Signature

17. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Body lift has a disticnt advantage that not a lot of folks think about: the clearance you gain is constant, unlike with springs, where susp. cycle varies the amount of clearance.

I have 4+3, and I like it.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

18. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I've had a 2" for a few years now, havn't had any problems, and the biggest advantage is now i go straight thru the wheelwell to change the sparkplugs, no leaning over the fender, a 5/8 SP socket on a 12" extension and plenty of room to swing the ratchet. oh yeah and it added a couple inches of clearance too.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have considered body lifts, but since I'm frame-offing my truck, I'm only going to do the 1". Not enough to tell, but enough to create more clearance. That and a 6-8" suspension (I have 4" now) will clear the 37s I want easily.

A 4" body lift would be illegal in Illinois.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 08/03/01 07:28 PM.</FONT></P>

20. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of a little more clearance between the body and running gear, could have used it when I had to replace the flex plate. Those bellhousing bolts would have been alot easier to get to. I like the cleaning and low center of gravity ideas, too. I'm already going to have replace the metal where the body mounts in the bed area, so I figured I'd install it then. Plus, I like my sawzall, and I'm not afraid t use it some more.

Karl
    87 3/4 ton