Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are body lifts worth the effort?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jan 19, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I think that I have decided to go ahead and leave my 4" lift on and go with the 3" body lift that I have sitting in my room. This way, I can spend some more money on getting gears, wheels, and tires. I already have the body lift and I just want to know if it's really worth saving some money and putting it on with the 4" lift. Later.

Alex

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I too have a 2" body lift sitting in the garage and I'm sure it will be worth the install, I currently have a 4" suspension lift and just got new 35" Pro Comp Mud Terrains so I think the body lift will compliment it well. I'm in Wisconsin so I'm waiting until spring until I do anything with it however. Too damn cold to do it now and it won't fit in the garage with my other cars in there. I'm nervous to do this one since I've never done one on a blazer before. Let me know what you decide.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I know that with 3", you often have trouble with both shift linkages, the gas fill hose and the steering, not to mention the bumper locations and the "gaps". Not that they can't be dealt with, but the problems seem much less with 2" lifts and almost nonexistent with 1" lifts. Just thought I'd mention that in case you don't really need 3". But really, that is what a body lift is for: When you already have a suspension lift and your drivetrain and everything is all worked out, but now you need a little more lift.

<font color=blue>Dan Quayle (extending his hand during a campaign stop) "I'm Dan Quayle. Who are you?"
    Woman: "I'm your Secret Service Agent"</font color=blue>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Bodylift will move evrything from the radiator's fan shroud to the rear wireing for your tail lights! Duno about your year but most likely you will also need to cut your floor board were your xfer case shifter pokes thru. Your steering shaft from your colum to your box will need to be replace with a longer one or an aftermarket ujoint style. Some guys will 'streach' the steering shaft but I would hate to loose my steering so replace it to the right size!! Oh and things like spedo cable and anything and everything connected to the bottom of your body.............
    FYI I have a 4"supen with 3" body lift and I still was able to get my 33" tires to hit the body on a flexy trail, now that the front of my rear fender wells are bent the tires don't hit anylonger[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

Just a little flex there Burt? That's pretty amazing you got 33's to hit the fenders. Thanks for all the info. I have heard from a lot of my friends that body lifts are a cheap and easy way to get a few more inches of lift. When putting it on, you have to be careful and watch everything that stretches and moves. If I decide to put it on, I'll remember all the things you guys have told me. Thanks again.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I HAVE PUT TWO BODY LIFTS ON SO FAR
    THE FIRST WAS ON A 87 S10 PICKUP THAT WAS THE EASY ONE
    THE ONE I PUT ON MY 79 BLAZER TOOK ALMOST TWO DAYS
    THE BEST PART WAS THAT EVERYTHING WAS RUSTED SOLID AND I HAD TO CUT 4 HOLES IN THE FLOOR TO GET TO THE NUTS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO STAY WELDED TO THE FLOOR. WHAT A HASSLE
    AND IF YOU STILL HAVE CARPET YOURE GONNA HAVE TO PULL IT UP TO GET THE BOLTS.
    WAS IT WORTH IT? HELL YEAH1
    JUST FIGURE ON IT TAKING ALL WEEKEND
    AND HAVE A FRIEND HELP YOU
    SOMEBODY GAVE ME MY KIT JUST BECAUSE HE REALIZED IT WAS TOO HARD TO PUT ON
    YOU DO HAVE TO MODIFY THE FAN SHROUD AND YOU HAVE TO WELD AN EXTENSION ON THE SHIFT LINKAGE
    ALL THE WIRES AND LINES STRETCHED JUST ENOUGH FOR MY 3 INCH KIT AND AFTER YOU PULL APART THE STEERING SHAFT EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.
    THE GAP IN THE BACK LOOKS REALLY FUNNY THOUGH.
    ALSO DO POLY BODY MOUNTS AT THE SAME TIME
    ITS EASIER TO PULL IT APART ONCE
    I DIDNT AND I AM REGRETTING IT

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Burt your 33s hit with that much lift? Back when I had 33s, I could lift tires off the ground and I still wouldnt get contact. However, when I mounted up my 36s, they tore my front fenders up and also the front of my rear fenders. I was going to put on a body lift, but I've been on some really tippy sections, so I choose to sacrafice some (ok, a lot of) sheetmetal to keep the CG from getting too high. When I go to flexier springs, I might add a 1" body lift so I can keep my inner fenders, but I dont like lifting the body higher than that. It stresses the floors especialy if you get twisted up a lot. For a truck that sees mostly mud, a 3" body lift is OK. Just fill the gaps, it helps keep water and mud off the motor.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You guys, realize this; I have an 82 one ton riding 6" lift and Bushwacker cut-out flares on 39" Mickeys. The damn thing still rubbed here and there especially on the front fenders. This is reason enough that I plan on installing a 3" body lift soon! Talk about driving a "mini-monster" after I get this on!!

9. BLzr4x4ngkid

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to slap the 3" body on top of the 4" suspension. I don't do much hardcore wheeling and when I do go mudding, it's nothing too rough. Thanks for the help guys.