Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are Carter and Edelbrock card parts interchangeable??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBad75K5, Jan 12, 2003.

1. BigBad75K5

BigBad75K5 1/2 ton status

I have a manual choke 600 carter carb and wanted to rejet it but can't find any parts for them anymore.
    So my question is, will the metering rods and jets from a 600 edlebrock work in the carter. I know they look the same but their is suppose to some difference in the metering circuits.
    I'm wanting to put it on my 4.3 2WD truck and it's way to fat for the little motor.
    Any info would be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Chad

2. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

As far as I know they will.I have a 1407 Edelbrock and a Carter that I use for spare parts.So far they all interchange.I'm pretty sure that Edelbrocks are made by Carter.GOD Bless,jtpepper

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What kind of Carter is it? Is it a Quadrajet, Thermoquad, or AFB?

All the Quadrajet secondary metering rods and hangers are interchangeable.

For primaries, the primary metering rods that are found in carbs with part numbers starting with 1 are .080" shorter than the earlier ones and therefore aren't interchangeable. The primary jets are all interchangeable.

4. BigBad75K5

Sorry about that its an AFB. Carter never made the Quadrajet, they did make a Thermoquad though.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Actually, yes they did. If you don't believe me tomorrow I'll go take a picture of the bent one I got off my 77C20.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

there is a difference in early and late carter carbs. Actually, carter carbs and edelbrock carbs are both made by federal mogul/webber. federal mogul bought the carter carb company and webber. edelbrock has had deals with webber for awhile over holley adjustable metering blocks. so they got there carbs made by federal mogul. I do believe, but not sure, that federal mogul also prchased the rochester carb division. so in a round about way, carter also did make the q-jet made by federal mogul. and in affect, the edelbrock performer q-jets are also made my federal mogul!!!!!!!!
    does that make sense????? whew!!
    oh, if it is the later version of the carter afb(which actually was listed from carter as the "A.V.S"(air valve secondary)) the parts from edelbrock will fit. If it's the style afb ran in 50's and early 60's then no. they don't!!
    Edelbrock makes a "tuning kit" or sometimes called a "calibration kit" part # 1409 which several metering rods, jets, and springs to tune your carb. hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BigBad75K5

Thanks for the info, that was a mouth full!! LOL
    This one is the later model version 600 with a manual choke, it about 5 years old. Thats the reason I was asking, so I could just purchase parts for the Edelbrock.

Chad

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

carter made q jets say carter on the side and rochester made ones say rochester on the side, in the mid to late 70s there were alot of both put on cars and trucks, i have several of both makes around, anyone who says onlyrochestermade gm carbs hasnt been around gm for long at all, holley also made alot of carbs in the earlier years for gm stock and alot were used on the T engines like 366, etc.

good luck

9. BigBad75K5

I've been around GM cars all my life! Mostly Chevy, to be honest I've realy never looked at mant Q-Jets. If I was building a street car I used to just give em to friends and put on a real holley! But when I started building cars in the mid 80's I went to FI. Thats why I don't post much here anymore, someone always has to blast on you when you say one little thing wrong. I've just never seen a Q-jet that had carter on the side. I have seen alot that had Q-jet on them though!LOL

Sorry about the misled post.

10. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I agree with you, ALWAYS someone with the "attitude" problem. There are ways to say things in a tactful manner, most on here haven't figured that one out yet. Good lUCK DONT QUIT POSTING BECAUSE OF SOMEONES IGNORANCE THOUGH. There are alot of good people on here willing to just help without the lip. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif