Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are cheap rotors any good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hello:

I'm getting ready to buy the disc conversion parts for my 14 bolt. I've searched in www.partsamerica.com, www.carparts.com, and www.napaonline.com I've found some extreme differences in rotor prices:

AC DELCO: $346.99
    Raybestos: $88.99
    Napa Tru-Stop: $36.49
    Wearever: $23.42

These are 8 lug Dana 44 rotors. Can you believe the Raybestos rotors carry a 3 month warranty, while the Wearever cheap ones have a one year warranty?/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Now, which one of these would you recommend? Is it really worth it to pay a much higher price for a name brand rotor? or is it the same metal under a fancy name?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

My NAPA guy is friend of mine. He convinced me to buy the ones made in America (with American steel), I would guess these are the "Ture Stops". He carries a range of products, some non-Napa. I didn't really question him on it, he usually knows what he's talking about.

I would suspect inferior rotors may be prone to warping under severe use. BUT I don't think the rear application would see anywhere near the heat/abuse that a front application would have. WOW, over $300 for a rotor from AC Delco, I would expect that price on a Mercedes SL or something!

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i also priced some rotors at the local parts stores, napa had some for 130each, made in canada. went over to autozone, saw the same rotor for 30, also made in canada... rotors looked like they came from the same "cast", but who knows. mabe it was a bad day when the ones from autozone were made.

ARQ.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i sell rotors every day. if the guy has on expensive shoes i sell him the expensive rotors. if the guy looks nice then i sell him the cheap rotors.

the only difference is one is made in canada, and one is made in Uzbekistan.

ryan

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

IMO there is a difference in the materials. Same as brake pads/shoes or sheetmetal. I've seen cheap rotors warp alot sooner than the higher grade products. I try to find american or canadian parts when ever possible. The price on the Delcos may include the hub, they do for the D60 rotor/hub assembly. I paid about $52/ea for canadian D60 rotors. Cheapest was $39 for china made.

6. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

I dont know how most of you are but when I find something made in china I simply pass it up even if it does cost me twice as much to buy the American product.

7. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

NAPA's Tru-stop rotors are the value line that are mad in China.NAPA's United rotors are the premium and are mad in Canada. There is a difference in the material and design of these rotors. The premium rotors have a better cooling design and will take more heat and abuse.

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I dont like to skimp on stuff especially the braking system but I run the autozone cheapies and have had no problems.. I think they even have a ""lifetime warranty""

mike

9. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have had the same question. I just purchased NAPA's Tru-stop rotors - they are stamped "Made in U.S.A.". I can't tell you if they compare in quality to the more expensive ones though.

10. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

I bought the autozone rotors with the premium brake pads and I have never had a better stopping vehicle no squeaks rattles or rumbles.

11. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

"I dont know how most of you are but when I find something made in china I simply pass it up even if it does cost me twice as much to buy the American product."

Right on Bro!

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

"I dont know how most of you are but when I find something made in china I simply pass it up even if it does cost me twice as much to buy the American product."

no doubt, I try to do this with parts and tools whenever I can. Lets face it, better stuff is made here. Which would you prefer, a nice set of Craftsman tools or a set from china? pffft! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I got a set of drill bits once that were made in china... the ones that are supposed to be able to drill steel are barely good enough for wood... anything steel whoops their heiny entirely... thats pathetic. Anyway... on the rotors, I think its safe to say thay you dont need the AC Delcos! Good grief, are those things gold plated or something? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J