Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are Dick Cepek Fun Country good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm so happy!!! I just bought 3 Dick Cepek Radial F-C 36x16.5 tires (not the Kevlars, though). They have about 80% thread left still and I got all 3 for the equivalent of $210!!

Now, can anyone give me some info about these tires? What are they best for? Anybody know how long they last? I've seen they are so expensive in magazine ads, so they should be very good. But I've rarely seen anyone wearing them. Why?

I need to buy the fourth one, but there are no other ones alike around. So far only a few 33" and 35" BFG MTs. Would I be OK if I put one of these? Which it go best front or rear?

Any input appreciated.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

as far as why people dont run them its usually cuz theyre so expensive...

they are awesome in sand and snow...i recall in petersons a while back that the arctic trucks run them in iceland...

if i were you i wouldnt run three tires with one different tire...ive seen people run like boggers in the rear and swampers in the rear of trail only vehicles...

if i were you id try and find some local or check with national tire and wheel or somebody like that

Later

3. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

i had 44's fun's on my3/4 chevy and they hook up sooo great in sand and i aired down to 4 an 2 they were fun tires

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All of your tires must be the same height if you expect to use 4wd. No, you can't have three 36s and a 33 or 35.

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I run the 38/15.50x16.5 radials and they are good tires.I just need/want a more aggressive tire,so I'm getting the Goodyear MT/R's.That and I want the 15" type so I can lower the tire pressure alot more.Good luck trying to find an DC tire used...hard to find!Mike

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm running the same tires. Unfortunatly, they don't make them anymore. Dick Cepek went out of business and Mickey Tompson bought their tire line and are not making (yet) the Radial Fun Cuntry. They wear fast. They don't like high speeds, above 65. I use to drive 80 on the freeway and blew out 2 of mine. I am now running the SSR Super Swamper Radial 35 x 14.50 x 16.5 in front and the 15 x 36 x 16.5 radial Fun Cuntrys in the rear. Despite their labeling, they are the same height. I've got one Cepek spare sitting around in case I blow one of the 4 rears (Dually), after that, I'm forking out a lot of cash for new SSRs. Hope they hold up for a while!

They do alright in the snow, but I think the Swampers in front pull a little better. Only tried them once in sand and they did well. Not sure about mud but since it is considerd an all terrain, I think I'd stay away from mud with these.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I used to run the 36x16.5x16.5 FC radials on my Suburban. After developing bubbles in the tread/sidewall and getting a pro-rated warranty on 1 of them, 2 more went bad a month later!!! This was with 85% tread remaining. I took them back to Cepek in Garden Grove, CA (when they were still in business about 3 years ago) and they said they would buy all the tires back from me. Since I had 39.5" Swampers bought and ready to go, I let Cepek have their junk tires back and they gave me a $600 CREDIT, due to them being in the beginning stages of bankruptcy and not being able to issue checks to any creditors, let alone me!!! Luckily I got my $600 worth in parts from Cepek, cuz I knew I'd never see the $$$$. Anyways, when I was talking to Tom Cepek himself, he told me that the FC radials were not designed for anything more than a half-ton truck!! I asked him why they made the 16.5" rim size then...his reply was that the demand was there so they made them and just dealt with the warrranty issues!!! WHAT?!?!?! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I heard it from Cepek himself!!! Another aquaintance of mine had two of these same tires blow out on him down in Mexico, and caused $4200 damage to his new Ford F-350!! He got Denman (who makes the FC radials) to pay him for the damage, as well as give him new tires, but what a screwed up deal!!!

Eric, all I gotta say is watch out for bubbles in the sidewall/tread (right at the juncture)...if you don't catch it, that thing will surely blow out on you!! Better still, check out my crewcab dually on 42" Swampers (click the link)...give you some food for thought on your next tire purchase!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/toroflow

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info, guys. Guess I'll have to buy a pair of 35s for the front and keep the 3rd 36 for spare.

If it's hard to find a used Fun Country in the US, imagine how hard it will be in Guatemala.