Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are diesel starters stronger than gas engine starters??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arq, Jun 27, 2002.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

are diesel starters stronger/better than gas engine starters?? my next questions are can i put a diesel starter in my gas powered 350?? how different are the engine block mountings for the diesel vs gas?? i am setting up a dual battery configuration soon, so voltage would not be an issue.

reason is that i have a manual tranny and it's kinda cool sometimes to crank the engine with the clutch enganged /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

ARQ.

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Diesel startes are higher torque than gas starters, which is need for the 21:1 compression. I don't think a regular gasser starter would move a 6.2/6.5. As for the bolting up i can't help you as silly as it sounds i've never changed a starter on a chevy gas engine. but the diesel starter has to bolts that go vertically through the starter into the block.i could measure the distance between the two bolts if you want i have a few extras laying around.

3. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yeah it is pretty funny to crank the truck when the clutch is engaged /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

i can't help you either, but a starter shop sure can. they have catalogs that will show what starter models will bolt up to what and what nose is required too. The local starter shop really helped me out with my starter swapability questions

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

The diesel starters also use a bracket that hangs down from the block to hold the rear of the starter. I am not sure if this is to guard against the vibration of the diesel engine, or just due to the weight of the starter.

Jon

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

This mounting plate is not kind of condition with all years of construction. But it helps against breaking screws.

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep,it's because of the weight of the diesel starter.I didn't have one on my C-10,and it broke inner mounting bolt twice!Now my brother drives it,and he added the bracket,and no problems so far.

I think (not sure),that diesel starter can be swapped to a gasser.Mounting bolt locations seem to be same on both starters...