Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are external locking hubs any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82dieselburb, Jan 8, 2004.

1. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 44 with external locking hubs.I heard these were weak.What would I have to do to convert it over to internal locking hubs? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a dana 44 with external locking hubs.I heard these were weak.What would I have to do to convert it over to internal locking hubs? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a newer bearing hub from a newer D44 or 10 bolt.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Change the bearing hubs. You can reuse the rotors, but the bearing hubs are what you need to change.

Be aware that newer 2nd design bearing hubs won't fit the older external type hubs because the bearings and spindles are different sizes. If you have the smaller 1st design type, you will need to swap over to the 2nd design spindles to get an internal bearing hub design to work. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I'd run what you got till it breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want them and they're original Dana, send them to me, I'll pay the shipping. I've never broken a set of original Dana hubs, you just have to keep them tight and clean/pack them regularly. I put blue (242) Loctite on my bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I,d love to run what
    i have now but one of the hubs is missing internal parts and doesn,t work.I don't want to spend tooo much money on this axle because I want to upgrade to a 60 in the near future.External hubs are twice as much as internal ones Maybe I'll try to find a set of internal bearing hubs[anyone got a set laying around the garage you want to sell?]I all ready have a new set of Warn internal hubs that I could use . /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you don't wanna spend much, look around for a set of used external hubs or some internal hub parts and go with which ever is cheaper. I found a set of Warn Premium hubs used for $50 a while back and got them warrantied into a new set /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So far I have had no problems with the external hubs so I wouldn't change over to internals myself unless I needed to replace the whole lot.

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I have a set of hubs and rotors I'll sell you for $40 plus the ride. I don't really want to pull them apart. I guess I will if I need to to sell them. PM if you're interested.

Rick

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone have any pics?
    do they look like this?
    it is hard to see but this is the only current shot I have from my d60 that I took from my parts truck...
    [​IMG]