Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are glass packs worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigburban383, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Do you think if I get a couple cherry bombs to make a dual exhaust for my 383 it will blow them out or get me pulled over or anything those cheapos may do. I cant spend money, I can just buy two cherry bombs ($30-$40) and get the exhaust pipe for free from a local midas (friend of family). Or I have my original 3-chamber flowmaster 3" in/out and just get a Y-pipe made.

Oh, I am also running headers.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sell your Flowmaster to someone else. I just looked at their website( www.flowmastermufflers.com ) and they have a part # 430402, which is 3" in and dual 2.5" out. Then just have your buddy make dual tips out the back for you. If your engine ran fine with flowmaster on before, it would be okay with this. equals 5" out if you add 2.5 together.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are cheap but hella loud especially with no cat. You might even lose a little low end and probably will get nabbed by the local/state PoPo. I would go with a decent flowing flowmaster (or two). They will give a great sound without being totally ubnoxious. My .02

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i lost a little low end when i went from turbos to glasspacks

but oh man...that sound is so worth it
    "ubnoxious" or not

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    equals 5" out if you add 2.5 together.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh ... no

one single 3" has a 7 sq inch cross section
    one 2.5 has a 4.9 sq inch cross section, so two would be 9.8 square inches, which would be the equvalent of a 3.5" pipe, give or take.

If you were going the cheap route, why not stay with the 3"?

6. bigburban383

Okay, I guess the 3" will help with the low end anyways, which the engine is set up for. Hopefully this summer I find a internship and put some new heads on the engine, then put a new exhaust on it or something.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

who needs mufflers? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just look down inside one of them, and that should answer your question /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I got glass packs on mine right now. I like the sound of them, especially when blasting along the freeway next to the barriers. They are loud but not as bad as some other setups.

At one point I had cherry bombs, didn't care for them to much. They were a temp fix, mabey with my current exhast they'd sound better.

10. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    I got glass packs on mine right now. I like the sound of them, especially when blasting along the freeway next to the barriers. They are loud but not as bad as some other setups.

At one point I had cherry bombs, didn't care for them to much. They were a temp fix, mabey with my current exhast they'd sound better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What diameter glasspacks?

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you want some cheeper mufflers try some parts house special turbo mufflers or summit brand turbos. They are about the same price. I can get some locally for around $20 each. They won't be as loud, but still sound good.

Kris

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess I'm in the minority. I had 12" glasspacks for years and liked them.

I run 40 series flows now.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i had 'packs on my 82 C10s. then i gave up sleeping with my first cousins, i quit chewing tobacco altogether, and i even moved out of the trailer park. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I had some glass packs on an old 69 Furd F@50 highboy. The truck had a 390 with a 4 spd. Exhaust was headers, true duals with glass packs all the way out the back. Extremely loud with my foot in it, but it sounded great! The only reason I suggested turbo mufflers earlier is because sound was a concern. That furd got looks from the cops more than once for being loud, but I luckly never got pulled over.

Kris

15. bigburban383

I have drivin around town and campus for a couple weeks with open manifolds before and not got pulled over. Well, when I did my first tranny I drove around for a few days open and some beeotch campus cop went ape sheet and followed me to the parking lot, she was extremly irate and jittery yelling at me that my truck is way to loud. I then explained I just did the tranny that day and didn't have time to put the exhaust which I told here was in the back of my truck. Didn't get a ticket /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't get a ticket /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

or a date

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Who'd want to date one of those knuckle-draggin' butches?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway I had 'packs and loved them(10"x2.25") but the system they were on hung too low and got forked up in the rocks...been thinking about running them again since since my Flowtech muffs have rusted through after a year... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Could someone please explain the flowmaster series? Do they get louder/deeper the lower they get numerically? e.g.- 50 series louder than 70 series?

I would really like to know how that works.

19. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Flowmasters loudness goes in this order:
    Loudest-40 series "powerful aggressive tone" have this on my 01 GMC and it sounds great!
    Not as loud-50 series "mellow deep sound" will vouch for that
    Little quieter-30 series "deep powerful sound"
    quiestest (if thats possible)-70 series "mild performance tone"
    Then there is the delta flow which is supposed to be deeper and mellow.

The quotes are straight out of Jegs. I never understood why they numbered them the way they are. Oh well. But there is your answer.

Kris

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status