Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are internally blanced flywheels the same?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Dec 15, 2004.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a fly wheel that was given to me for my BBC and I got to thinking. Is there any differance in the SBC and a BBC fly wheel? TIA

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

As they sell ones specifically for sbc or bbc, i would assume there is. Be sure that you have the correct one though. A 396 is the only bbc that is internally balanced from the factory. A 454 is externally balanced, but can be internally balanced, (my 496 is internally balanced).

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

flywheel

Nope. They are the same. I was told that Id need a special BBC flywheel when I went to the 454 from the 327, so I searched and searched until I found one. I ended up paying almost 80.00 including shipping to get it, and when it got here it was the same thing as I had on the 327. As long as the BB is a newer type. I guess the pre-90s BBC had to use an externally balanced flywheel... dont quote me on the year...
    It ended up that the 454 block I got is a 91, which let me use the internally balanced wheel which is the exact same as the SBC wheel.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My 74 454 has an externally balaced type. The flywheel for my 454 is not the same as other flywheels. It also works with the 12" (11 7/8") Luk clutch assy I bought:D

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The older 454 motors were externally balanced. They use a specific balanced flywheel. SB400's are also externally balanced, and use a different flywheel. All other smallblocks are the same as well as 396's and 427's hich are all internally balanced.

6. RingMaster4x4

Ok so 2 yes and 2 no. The fly wheel I have is from a SBC and I will be putting it on my 427 TD that I have be told of interanlly balanced.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The main things to look for is mounting to the crank, does your clutch assy bolt to it properly and does your starter work with it, should be 168 teeth on it.

When I was looking up a new fly wheels the 454 one was totaly different than the rest of them. Oh and I got the big 30lb one too made by Hayes.

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

If it's a 427, then it should be the same flywheel as far as balance as any small block except the SB400.

9. RingMaster4x4

Ok thanks for all the help guys.:thumb:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Generic Flexplates!

I've seen aftermarket flex plates that fit all the chevy motors--they give you 2 different external bolt on counterweights,you just bolt the right one for the application on(one fits the 400 SB,the other the older 454's,other motors dont use one period,,)and its done!--I dont recall what brand it was--might have been an ATP (Automatic Transmission Parts)--the tranny shop was putting one in when I went there to ask about why my tranny might have lost reverse...:)

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Without a doubt a factory 454 uses a externally balanced flywheel a SBC 400 uses a different externally balanced flywheel on the two piece rear main seal SBC's and 366 , 396, 402, 427 BBC's use a internally balanced flywheel . The crank bolt pattern is the same on both flywheels .
    Note : This is for two pieace rear main seal engine sonly and you can have a machine/balance shop make any flywheel work for you for a nominal fee.

I just re-read the thread and saw that you are using a 427 so you are good just as Mountainexplore said.

12. RingMaster4x4

Good to hear thanks.:D