Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are LS1 heads a direct bolt up? Never mind...I know they won't.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Dec 19, 2001.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Are LS1 heads a direct bolt up? Never mind...I know they won\'t.

I've been looking on line for aluminum heads and it seems LS1 heads are pretty reasonable. Will they bolt right on and accept the standard accessories? Will the Performer intake work, what about exhaust headers? Valve covers? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Travis

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 72Travis on 12/23/01 09:02 PM.</FONT></P>

2. kansas blazer

kansas blazer Registered Member

Re: Are LS1 heads a direct bolt up?

there is no way that LS1 heads will work because it is a completely different motor as far as block, heads, induction,etc. goes maybe you should go with some LT1 heads , that would be a better choice in my opinion because they will bolt right onto your motor without a problem and will accept all accesories and any intake you choose

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I couldn't remember if it was the LS1 or LT1 heads my friend told me I could use. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess I should look for LT1 heads. Are the valve covers center bolt style? Do I need special rockers and push-rods?

Thanks,
    Travis

4. frito

frito Registered Member

uhmm you cant use either yes LT1 heads will bolt on BUT! LT1's have reverse flow cooling and the intake manifold mounting is differient than older small blocks the water pump on those motors are driven by the cam and unless you wanna do alota modifying to the head itself it wont work
    john lingenfelter got them to work on an earilyer SBC and said that the performance gains wernt great and the chambers of the heads are ver small 53 cc's vrs 76 for the heads you have right now prolly your best bed are L-98 corvette heads they can be had from a junk yard as cheap as 200 bux for the pair but their chambers are 58 CC 's so i hope your not running too high of compression

5. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check into them.

Travis

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The LS-1 is a totally different engine family because it's corporate. It doesn't share anything with the Chevrolet engine other than the bellhousing pattern and motor mount locations.

The other option that a few guys here have been trying are the Vortec Small-Block heads. I've read in the magazines that they're pretty good, but you will need a Vortec-specific intake manifold to make 'em work.

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Pick up the Feb. 2002 Chevy high performance. They bolted a set of vortec heads on a stock TPI motor, a new vortec tpi base, everything else sock, it produced 395HP. It has a couple of upgrade tests, with the end result being I think around 450HP, to lazy to find article. Check it out.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

8. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I almost went with the vortec heads when I did my rebuild. For the price ($450), they are probably the best cast iron head going. The bolt right up, have standard valvetrain geometry, and flow great. They have 1.94" intake and 1.50" valves and 64cc chambers. The only kinks are that you need a vortec intake to match the bolt pattern and they take centerbolt valve covers.

9. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to stick with trying to find aluminum heads. I'm watching the papers and online for a pair I can snatch up pretty cheap. There's tons of LT1 stuff, that's why I wanted to find out what will bolt up. A cool idea would be a complete LT1 engine with the six speed tranny. I wonder if Advance Adapters has experimented with a kit to bolt up to a 205? Not that I could ever afford anything like that.....but you gotta admit, it would be cool.

Travis

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Travis, if you want a 6-speed, the New Venture 5600 is the only way to go in a Blazer. It's the "big sister" to the NV4500 that some of us have. The problem is that AA doesn't have a kit to bolt one up to a 205 yet.