Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my automatic hubs gone or is it something else?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Aug 11, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

The other day I noticed a little more strain on my drivetrain. I thought it might be an axle bearing. My U-joints look good. I have a little diff fluid seeping out or the rear so that was my suspicion on the rear-end. Should I be able to twist my front drive shaft around freely if it is in 2 wheel drive? I'm still not exactly sure what is going on. Been looking at prices for 14FF. Not ready to make the $$$ plunge right now. Can someone offer an opinion on what might be going on? The symptoms are as follows...

While driving I experience a small amount of vibration accompanied by some noise. The noise is undetected unless I'm travelling at slower speeds. I've only driven a total of 12 miles since this has happened. The rear diff cover has some seeping. Not very much but enough to glaze the cover. It might have leaked a teaspoon total. Any ideas?

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ok, first off: what are you calling strain? vibe? or noise?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    While driving I experience a small amount of vibration accompanied by some noise. The noise is undetected unless I'm travelling at slower speeds

[/ QUOTE ] vibe could be a tire out of balance, or a u joint going south, we need more symptoms, sounds like nothing major. is it brake noise?

seeping isnt nothin to worry about, maybe need a seal or a gasket.

yes it will move freely.

14FF is cheaper to buy and fix than 1/2 ton cr@p!!! lookin at prolly 250.00 total for swap and mods ..

3. uglychevyZZ4

also, is the vibe front or rear, more details please....

4. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

It's a rear vibration...not like a driveshaft vibration though.

5. uglychevyZZ4

if it is a rear vibe, why do you think hubs are gone in the front? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shaft should move freely in 2wd of course.

You do know that auto locking hubs require you to back up after disengaging 4wd right? Not assuming you are dumb or anything, but some people don't know this.

Of course, in normal driving you will eventually back up anyways...

7. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

do u need to back up even on the new trucks?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What do you mean new? "New" if you ask me means that the hubs are electrically or vacuum actuated, "Older" means the hubs lock in as you roll, ("automatic") and "really old" means reliable, and you turn them in with your fingers : )

My '83 required you to back up, if thats what you are getting at, and I'd assume all Blazers up to and including 1991's required you to back up, if equipped with auto hubs.