Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my ball joints bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 14, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

When I have it up on jacks with the wheels off, I can grab the hub/rotor assemblely and move them in the up and down direction (not side to side). There is slight (1/16") movement and a clunk when you let go. However, the truck steers well and does not seem to wander. Is this normal? Thanks.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, it s better to check them with the tires and wheels on. Thats how you would normally run the vehicle. So I'd check it with the tires and wheels on the hub. But if you can wiggle the hubs without the tires and wheels, I'd say something is loose or worn. After you make sure the bearings are not the culprit, what you need to do is have someone else move the tire up and down while you look at the ball joints nad if they woble, then replace them. Dude just drive your ass to Tennessee and I'll help you do it, Free of charge, I have all the tools. All you have to buy is the beer. LOL!!!

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Brandon, thanks for the help, youre awesome. My tranny just blew out today on the way back from my daily ski outing so I wouldnt be able to make it out to Tenn. I'd have to pick up some real beer on the way out, you wouldnt like our Utah schwag. Talk to ya later.

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hey Shum, Sorry to hear about your tranny. If you get up in there, with a light while you move the spindle, you can see where the "play" is comming from. When replacing balljoints, It's important to get the torque EVEN on all four joints. If you think your Blazer drives good now, you'll really be suprised how good it drives with a new set of joints!