Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my batteries shot?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I bought 2 new heavy duty Sears Die-Hard batteries for my Diesel Blazer about 3 years ago.. and then almost immediately put it in storage. I am wondering if they will be totally shot now or if they can be salvaged?

I have heard you can rebuild batteries.. if they are dead is this possible and worth it?

I do have access to a battery charger. Should I just try to recharge them and see what happens?

2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just try to recharge them and check to see how much water is in the resevoirs. they might charge and they might not. but wont hurt to try.

3. 6.2LTrailblazer84

You just add straight water.. you don't need to add any electrolyte or anything?

And they can't blow up if you try to recharge them, right? They would start swelling if they were going to explode, right? Is that a danger just with extremely old batteries?

I swear to god I am dyslexic about car stuff.. I learn something and it always comes out backwards later...

4. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

they could swell if you put too much water in them. but not from charging them. im not sure what the water level should be at. i think you just use regular water but im not sure. maybe some one could clarefye. sry that i couldnt be more help. id just put them on the charge and keep an eye on them and if you see them starting to swell, pull the plug but i think they'll be ok.usually they'll blow from adding to much water, over chargeing due to voltage regulator failure in the altenator or not bein tied down securely and bounceing around alot.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the water level is low add distilled water, then put them on a trickle charger for 24 hours or so. Check them once in a while though.

Rene

6. 6.2LTrailblazer84

OK, thanks a lot guys. :D

Hey, do you guys know if there are any Blazer/Chevy truck manuals on CD Rom or somekind of PDF file? Like maybe a Haynes type manual for the PC?

It would be cool to be able to search for stuff on there and just print out the pages you need to refer to rather than destroying your manual while working on your vehicle.