Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my SPRINGS TOO SOFT???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 12, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Hey guys... I've had the 63" springs in the back of my rig for a while now. It's just sitting in my driveway looking big and nasty (yep, I've been a cyber-wheeler for a year now /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif) I was driveway articulating the K5 and realized how bad my shackle angles were. I'll be moving them (front and rear) this weekend along with adding longer shackles.

Anyways, my rear springs came from a '92 2wd shortbed truck and they've only got 3 leaves plus an overload. I think they might be too soft because the main leaves are almost resting on the overload while the truck is level. There are also large gaps (about 1/8") between the other leaves in the pack. I've got about 12" of wheel travel on each side even with the short shackle and bad angle /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif So I'm not complaining about the springs being so flexy. I'm just curious if it's bad to have the springs working so hard in the rear.

BTW sorry for the long post... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

does sound kind of borderline. I'd look into upgrading to a 4x4 spring pack.

3. TruckNutzDude

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to flip the overload leaf in my pack now would it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've got to pull the axle out soon anyways for the gear change so this would be the time to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have the same setup in my k15
    i flipped the overload.
    the springs sit flat, so i had to make up 1.5" blocks to level the truck.
    the springs flex like no one's business... now i just have to get the front to match

5. TruckNutzDude

I think I'm going to flip the overload leaf. My springs also sit flat but I kind of like it that way. I just picked up a set of "lowering" shackles from belltech and I'll be moving my rear spring hanger foreward on the frame for a better angle. That should help with the droop issues I was having and also help with what little up-travel I'll have. The next step is shock mounts. What are you running for shocks Tork? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

What you really need to know if how much compression travel you can get before you waste the spring pack. In general it's hard to hurt a factory type spring with the overload intact because they have a pretty high capacity once they're sitting on the overload. Flipping the overload will help get more bump travel but will also add some stress when it's at full bump. You may need to look at adding a functional bumpstop to keep the springs from inverting too far.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is it acceptable to invert a spring slightly, or should you stop when it's flat?

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

good question. I just bought my bumpstops so I'm gonna be listening to the answer here to see how far a spring should invert. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think I can get my front ones to invert as the tires hit the cab floor. In the rear I think mine will invert slightly.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I could (and did) invert the rears of my toyota and never saw any ill effects. I think as long as you dont go to far with it it will be alright. Its when your pack starts looking like a frown i think you have to worry.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I could (and did) invert the rears of my toyota and never saw any ill effects. I think as long as you dont go to far with it it will be alright. Its when your pack starts looking like a frown i think you have to worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I currently understand, inverting springs leads to wearing them out QUICKLY!

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... I think as long as you dont go too far with it it will be alright....

[/ QUOTE ]
    we are trying to find " too far"

If my shocks weren't a factor I could have my springs hit the frame almost front and back. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. TruckNutzDude

I've got to fix my shackle angle before I can tell how much compression I have. Right now it's not very much... maybe 3-4" before the spring is on the overload and about 10" of down travel before the shackle lines up with the spring keeping the spring from moving more (trust me... it would move more!) I'm trying to figure out a good way of mounting a bump stop the the shock. My dirt bikes and ATV's used to have that type of setup in the rear and I was thinking it might work on a truck also. I don't like the pyramid style stoppers very much since they allow quite a bit of travel before they fully compress where as a collar mounted on my shock would compress very little /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my DT 8304's have a bumpstop on them. I cut my rear ones off so I could use the amount. I then bought the poly ones you don't like and some limiting straps to keep everything within it's limits. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i'm running the long doetsch shocks

my spring goes negative all the time. at rest i think there is only like 2" of arch not even.

i dont use it on the street, and i dont haul with it.
    so, i wanna safely say if its a trail rig only, you have my full support /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I currently understand, inverting springs leads to wearing them out QUICKLY!

[/ QUOTE ]

The springs on my jeep invert all the time and wear out pretty quick, in fact they are inverted just sitting on level ground right now, but it still flexes like mad, so until I find four more spring packs, they will stay in place.