Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my u-joints bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So uh I guess ever since i took the truck to the 100mph mark, I have been hearing more pings and clacks than normal. They sound kinda like something metal hitting againt the drive shaft making that unique ping kind of noise. Also I have been getting some vibrations, pretty bad at times. Mostly accelerating in 3rd gear and some while cruising in 4th. I greased up both u-joints but it didn't make any improvements.

Am I right to think this is u-joints? I have an extra u-joint (Brute Force). Should I just put it in and see how that works out?

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wouldnt hurt to change them

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

only one way to tell...

I've changed U-joints that made NO noise whatsoever,and all one cup had in it was rusty DUST!...others I've had fail usually made a Errrrr--EEEEE--Errrrrr--EEEE-- squeak that gets faster as the truck gains speed,then makes it vibrate at highway speed...

Your 100 mph ride likely didn't do them any good!--if your truck is lifted at all,U-joints only last a few thousand miles if you drive on the highway a lot..I only got 5-10 thousand miles out of the ones on my lifted K5 I had years ago,and the angles were not that excessive..I used cheap U-joints,because I soon learned even the most expensive ones didn't last much longer..hope thats all thats wrong in your case!..:crazy:

4. Chevy305

Maybe I should pull the diff cover too and see if I have any floating gear teeth...

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i doubt that

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Going 100 in a lifted truck huh? can you imagine what would happen if that front U joint failed at that speed. Wow. I agree with diesel4me. the ujoints might make a squeeky sound, and if they vibrate, you might try to move the driveshaft back and forth at the joint to see if they're bad.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The ping is an indicator . I had that , Marv said joint , and it was joint . Whatcha going 100 for in a brick anyway :thumb:

8. Chevy305