Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are my welds any good? How to tell?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, May 16, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm practicing using my new MIG welder. I'm using flux core 0.030 wire.
    How do I evaluate the welds I'm doing to check for penetration?
    All I've tried welding so far is 2 stick of all-thread (threaded rods) and after a short weld (maybe 1 inch long) I can't rip the rods apart.
    Next, I have a spare tcase xmember I plan to cut in two and weld back together. But I want to know how to better evaluate the welds.
    Right now I'm just guessing.
    -- Mike

2. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

When you take a certification test, usually the welds are x-rayed or sonoed or something like that. Obviously you can't do that in your garage, what you can do is run yourself a nice bead and then cut it in half like a cross-section and look for porosity.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

run a bead and cut it aprt. shouldnt be any cracks or porosity(small holes). Look for the depth of the weld into the material.

4. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Cutting them or bending them apart is the best way to find out. But I'd suggest you start practicing on something better than scrap all-thread, and such. Get yourself some plate steel, (1/8" - 3/16") and start doing fillet welds.(plates flat against each other and weld the seams Practice horizontal & vertical passes. Then try some butt or T-joint welds. Later, move on to tubing and play with that. DON"T TRAVEL TO FAST. Thats the biggest mistake I see made. Go slow enough to find out where the burn through point is and then adjust accordingly. Go to Google .com and search for "welding instruction".
    Good luck