Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are NV4500s going to be more available as time passes or...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have looked through the junkyards on many occasions and have yet to find a NV4500. Never seen one at all, to be honest.
    Are these things going to be more available as the trucks get older or are they going to be like front Dana 60s forever?
    Just wondering what you guys think.
    -- Mike

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I think they'll stay like the 60's, maybe worse. Nobody buys trucks with sticks nowadays, and now that the carmakers have moved on to 6-speeds, not many trucks come with em anymore (just the Chevy HD with the 6.0 I think- not sure if Dodge puts em in their new trucks or not). The new price may drop a bit, but used they seem to fetch a pretty penny.

3. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

They're still being used by both GM & Dodge on most of there 3/4-1 ton manually-equipped trucks. The 6spd is normally only available with the high output motors, such as the Duramax & Cummins HO. The standard version of the NV4500 is rated at 410LBFT & the HD version at 460LBFT -- more than enuf for most *stock* engines. Plus it weighs ~160LBS less than the NV5600. The only rare or hard to find NV4500 is the earlier version with 6.34 1st gear compared to 5.61 1st for the later versions.

There are a couple of companies that have rebuilt ones up for auction on eBay Motors. Most common but occasionally find some put up for auction by indivduals. Just do a search on NV4500.

Also try car-parts.com.

Good luck.