Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are roller rocker arms really worth it?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Jul 17, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing the cam in my truck and I'm going to do the rocker arms at the same time. The cam is a torque cam(1200-4200rpm) The stock rockers are $47 and the cheapest roller rockers I could find are $159. Is it worth the extra $110? Thanks in advance.

Evan

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Evan, You did not mention whether or not you were going with roller lifters. This will give you better gains than roller rockers because it allows you to go with a cam with steeper lobes and quicker valve action. Your valves can open wider faster.Of course you would need a cam designed for roller lifters. The roller rockers will definitely add some power in a high performance engine, but may not be too noticeable in a stock motor. Just my .02. See ya. JT

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I say not worth it at all. Minor performance gain if any, and they will wear out in 20K miles.

4. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd say the gain would be modest compaired to the price. In addition to the rockers themselves, I believe that you will also need pushrod guideplates (and screw-in rocker studs to hold them in place), along with hardened steel pushrods. That's another $100+.

5. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

The gains that are to be had with roller valve train parts are all @ high RPM. Unless you building an engine for a racing truck I'd spend that money on something else... like a hi lift jack or somthin....

6. aksidentproan

Thanks guys. Sounds like its not worth it. I'll spend my money on a roll cage instead. Thanks alot. I don't know what I would do without this board.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have crane roller rockers.they seem to make the engine run a little smoother.i like them better than the stock ones.

8. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Comp Cams makes a stock type rocker arm with a roller tip that will help reduce valve train friction. However as was said previously, it will not have any effect on the RPM range that we run in 4WD vehicles. I am in the process of building a 377 CI engine that will make over 400 lb/ft torque off idle, and am using all stock chevy parts... Max RPM will be 4800-5000 to stay in the efficiency range of the stock TBI system...
    So In Other Words...Buy the roll cage....

9. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I replaced the stamped steel ones in my mildly rebuilt 350 with 1.6 ratio roller rockers. I noticed an immediate improvement in the mid-high rpm range, especially when driving up long passes and grades. I also had to lower my idle, which increased to 1200 rpms when the roller rockers freed the drivetrain originally hindered by the stamped rockers. I'm glad I bought 'em.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know what rpm's you run,but i get up there pretty high at times.i have the 1.6 lift roller tipped rocker. which is .1 more than stock so i get a little more lift out of the valves and hence a little more horsepower.i lke the way they run myself.no complaints yet.

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of running the sumitt stock style rockers with the roller tips. Just not sure if I want the or the ratio rockers. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

My machinist tells me roller tip rockers are easier on the valve guides.. not a bad idea.

13. sdredneck

sdredneck Registered Member

are you going to run in the mud? And I mean real mud bogs. Where you will see the advantage again is in the higher RPM range such as with large mud runs. Otherwise if you are building a city rig or a rock crawler you won't see the advantages. But they look real cool LOL. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. aksidentproan

I put the standard rockers in because i dont go past 5000 to much.

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Evan,

I'm in the middle of a complete engine rebuild and for now, I am replacing the Comp Cams Roller rockers (from Summit) with a set of stock stamped rockers.

There is something weird about the Comp Cams roller rockers. If you compare the oil hole drilled in the rockers...the stock ones are drilled at an angle, but the Comp ones are straight through. They are also in a slightly different position on the pushrod cup.

A local engine builder has seen a few cases of engine failures with these "upgrade" roller rockers, due to poor oiling. The current theory is that the oil hole is misdrilled and is preventing the oil from getting out the top of the pushrod....which leads to poor upper end oiling and eventual meltdown (which is what happened to me) /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

There might be other roller rockers that ARE designed properly, but I'd avoid the Comp Cams ones from Summit (or the Summit branded ones, since I think those are Comp Cams also!)

I'll might be able to do some experimentation with old vs. new rockers to prove this theory when my motor is finally assembled again.....

Just my $.02, but I'd say put that extra $110 in your pocket. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif