Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are skyjackers worth the money?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Nov 15, 2006.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing my front springs with 8" Superlifts. I run 6" skyjacker softrides in the rear with 2" blocks and in the front i have 6" Superlifts with 2" blocks. The blocks must go. They are interfering with my cross steer as well as being illegal and dangerous.

Question????? I can buy a new pair of Superlift 8" springs for $250, or buy matching skyjacker softride 8" springs for $350. (plus I'll need bushings if i go skyjacker unless the superlifts fit)

Is skyjacker $100 better?

2. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

IMO yes...

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2 agree

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X3 :usaflag:

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

superlift is teh suck

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

skyjoker? sike, ive got 8" BDS upfront and i love the way they ride. skyjoker is not worth what they charge. when i got my lifted 64's skyjokers were $475 and the procomps were $235. im very happy with the procomps ive got out back.

bds has the best warantee on the market, if ur going to pay $350 for a pair, id get BDS

7. twoslo4five0

yeah bds is great...but if you look carefully and open your eyes you see he wa asking about superlift vs. skyjacker..not bds or procomp...duh

8. twoslo4five0

sorry muddybuddy didnt mean to be an a## but i could not hold back...i have bds under my suburban and they are great but have no problem with skyjacker though..

9. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

The problem for me is i have a 1st gen blazer (46" springs) I dont have as many choices as alot of the other rigs do.

And part 2 of the question is it worth the extra 100 bones if my wife is gonna kill me for spending the money. I can prolly pull off the $250, but $350, i'm gonna get caught.

Dont get me wrong, i can do what ever i want............................as long as she says its ok.

10. muddybuddy

my eyes were open thankyou, and i mentioned bds and skyjcker because from my experience they have been really good springs are are usually cheaper than the skyjacker springs. ive riden in rigs with skyjackers and they didnt have a great ride. if hes looking to get new springs and asking bout prices, dont see why mentioning other options is a bad thing....

edit: after looking at the bds site, they only got 4" springs for the 1st gen k5's. why not keep the front springs you got and run an add-a-leaf and a zero-rate? that would get you 2"s and would be much cheaper than a new set of springs

11. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

or how about a zero rate and 1" shackle lift from daystar? it would only be like $100 total for that setup. :dunno:

12. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Those are good options but, i actually have 1.5" 0 rates in the front now. I guess i said 2" in the earlier part of the thread. Anyway the cross steer is clearing the 1.5 blocks and springs by less than a 1/4". I really want to rid myself of the blocks. However add-a-leaf is a good idea cept wont that make my ride terrible? I'm all for cheaper ways to do this. Especially when the 6" i have are only 4 months old.

13. SHAPER

SHAPER Registered Member

Spend some extra money and get some custom Alcans. IMO You would never regret it.

14. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMO an add-a-leaf that would put 2" into a 6" spring pack would make it ride very harsh. A combination of longer shackles, and have the zero rates milled down to 1" and degreed to correct your pinion angle may get you there.

Back to your original question, I have skyjacker 6" front springs and I like them. BDS and Alcan are both very good springs. If your happy with your current ride and height I think its worth looking into some other options before going to an 8" spring

15. oscarm

oscarm Registered Member

I have 6 inch skyjacker and their pretty soft and cool

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X4.

17. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I brought this thread back because the skyjackers were $40 more money total. So i bought the 8" softride skyjackers for 3 bills today. The will complement my 6" skyjackers in the rear nicely. When i first started this thread they were about $100 more but i think superlift had a price increase so it was a no brainer to get the skyjackers. Coarse my wife thinks i have no brains at all for buying any springs. :D

Turns out my new cross steer is hitting the springs when i turn sharp with the 1.5" 0 rates up there. so this will fix that issue. It wont fix the 300 other issues i have.
    Thanks for the opinions guys.

18. muddybuddy

glad it workd out for you. post up pics with the new springs on when u get 'em

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

do the springs have anti friction pads? my 8 inch superlift springs are straight cut with no pads. as low tech as they get.

20. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I dunno, I said i want C280S superlift 8" softrides. hopefully they are nice springs since they cost more than the superlifts. And i have 6" superlifts now and they aren't bad at all.