Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are sm465 shifters interchangable between different years?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Oct 14, 2004.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have a sm465 that the shifter has cut off of(out of an 89 1-ton) that I need to repair. Does anyone know if shifters will interchange between different years/models?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yes all the shifters arte the same.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what the other guy said. ALSO fully interchangable with an SM420. since the trannies look almost identical yu prolly wouldnt even notice if you pulled one from a 420. they do come in different bends from the factory as well. so you can keep an eye out for a factroy chrome one with 2 bends or the normal black with one bend, or whatever you want.

personaly if i was you i would find a non chrome one that has the single bend at the bottom. the reason i say this is you can bend it how you want it. this is more critical than you think. well, not that big of a deal... but to me it is.

and once bent YOUR way, you can chrome or powdercoat or leave it. whatever. your choice. just a lil info for a bigger picture i guess.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGrant

4. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I found what I needed.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

465 was 68-up
    420 phased out in 67

some of the shifters i have seen appear to be a little smaller diameter than others, seems like older years were smaller, like 60s and before

the SM420 began in 1947

GM called the 465 a CH not a SM in models like the 60s C50 trucks ill save the glovebox from this one we have,

CH465 is what ive always been calling them, and some of my gm options sheets list it as CH too, i read soemwhere it was CH for chevrolet but i dont know how true that is

dunno if any of that helps, but good luck

so 89 1 tons still have 465 ? hum interesting, i been trying to save up for an 89 1 ton dually here i know of for cheap, hoping i can get it in near future before it gets cut up :/

seventy4: i like oyur signature info, that was good reading, big time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif so true!@